Colt Forum banner

Full moon clip modification for a Python

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mikegs430 
#1 ·
I have a nice matte stainless Python that I have decided will be my shooter. I was considering having it modified to accept full moon clips. I would like to compete and train with this gun and it seems that full moon clips would be a lot more practical than speed loaders. Has anyone had this mod done? and if so have you run into any issues or have any opinions?

#2 ·
Given how a speedloader works and how full moon clips work - I seriously doubt that there's any advantage whatsoever - despite what the maker says - certainly not enough to permanently modify a Python's cylinder.

Since your hand movements in the reloading process are going to be essentially identical - put the money towards practice ammunition and range time.

#6 ·
Last week I sent the cylinder from my S&W Model 25-5 to www.tkcustom.com in Illinois to have Tom machine it to allow me to use moon clips and shoot both .45 Colt (original chamber) and .45 acp using full moon clips. The cost for the machining is $125 but I also bought clips for .45 Colt and .45 acp and a loading/unloading tool. The gun has already had porting and an action job by MagnaPort so I figure I might as well do this mod too. I didn't pay for the $800+ Magnaport work a previous owner had done! Here's what it looks like:

#7 ·
While it is your gun and you can do whatever you want to it I would seriously advise against it. First there is no appreciable difference in speed between speed loaders made today and full moon clips. As a former armed security officer and current police officer I have used many speed loaders for the various revolvers I have used over the years and I am just about as fast with them as the average person with full moon clips. Also the modification will ruin the resale value of the Python. There would be almost no way to get your money back if you decided to sell it. Python collectors and a good many shooters prefer their Pythons to be as close to original as possible. Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you do decide to go with speedloaders, HKS and Safariland speedloaders are very good and durable.

#8 ·
You can have your cake and eat it too by finding a used cylinder and doing the modification on it. That way the revolvers original cylinder will be unmodified. Of course the used cylinder will add to the expense but you'll come out even or ahead by not devaluing the Python.

John Gross

#9 ·
Deja vu

In my mailbox this afternoon was my S&W 25-5 Cylinder, back from the smith, 7 days after it was mailed to him.

I can now shoot .45 acp from my Special S&W Model 25-5 .45 Colt.

TK Customs (TK Customs - Custom Painting and Airbrushing) was very fast. Inside the box was my cylinder, 10 .45 acp moon clips (marked TK), and a heavy duty moon clip unloading tool. A note on the tool - it is hollow and when you remove a cartridge it is contained in the tool. I had ordered 6 .45 Colt moon clips but they weren't in the box; an oversight; one call to Tom and he is dropping them in the mail, gratis. I call the entire transaction "Old School Quality Customer Service." It was raining so I wasn't able to go shoot the gun today but will shoot it as soon as I get the chance - in both calibers...

When I talked to Tom this afternoon to thank him for his quick turnaround he said no problem - then said the work was done by his 20 year old grandson - that he is competent and able to maintain 1/2 of 1 thousanths tolerances. He came to the shop to learn the business and its obvious (and I said it to Tom) that he listened to his grandfather. When asked about machining the MagnaPort Magnalife hard chrome finish he said it wasn't a problem; that the hardest cylinders to machine are the Rugers, that he uses carbide tooling for those. The work, the tool, and the moon clips cost $167.

Tom says he has .357 moon clips available and will machine the cylinders. This gun will never be a collector; it is a shooter - a previous owner put about $800 worth of work into it by MagnaPort and whatever the cost of a different barrel; it will have a special appeal to someone wanting the versatility of .45 acp from a modern wheel gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.