Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If they are 1st gens they have been badly abused.The insides almost looks burned.The checkering on the right hand one looks to have been recut at some time.JMO D*

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Yes they are 1st Generation Python Grips.

Interesting to note there is no Border on the Gold Medallions. It has been outlined in several threads here on the Forum that will help approximately what year they belong on. Shooting from the hip they are a bit later in the 50s.

Judge Colt is the expert and should be along soon enough to help.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
They look legit to me, but I agree that the right stock pane has been recut by somebody who is not as skilful as our own Swamprat, or the Colt factory. If the medallions are gold, they are Python stocks; if silver, then the stocks were original on a Colt 357, Officer Model Match, Trooper 357...maybe one or two others.

The right side stock panel wears faster for right-handed use of the revolver than the left stock pane. That might explain why only the right stock panel looks recut.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My experience in working with walnut wood over the years is that it appears to me that looking at the insides photo you have a set of grips that have undergone multiple cycles of water, moisture or high humidity that in turn leaves the dark to black stain. Also look at the bottom inside of the grips-the milky gray/white discoloration could be from mold.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gentlemen, as always you guys are a wealth of knowledge. I am going to try to post them in the wts section tomorrow and I didn't want to misrepresent them. Thanks, Stewy

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
That dark almost black color is normal in early Colt Full Checkered Stocks (and evidence of exposure to excessive moisture is absent). Later Colt Full Checkered Stocks were of a more dark brown oiled walnut color. The color changed over time, during the manufacturing life of the Colt Full Checkered Stocks, my personal favorite stocks. I cannot give you a transitional dates on the color change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.