Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I won a Gunbroker auction for some fancy Government Model Colts. I don't normally lean toward fancy guns... in fact plain is about all I have... but this pair grabbed me... So, I threw in a sort of off the wall bid for one... and to my surprise I won the auction for that gun at a pretty low price in my mind. So far so good.

The next morning I found I had an email from the seller... no surprise there either. Upon opening the email, I was surprised to see the seller offering me the second pistol of the two gun set at an equally low price... So being something of a sucker I bit and bought both guns...

So... here are the two Colts...

The first is a 45 Government model with silver engraving... and it is a commemorative from 1981 for one of my favorite outfits... the Confederate Air Force...

These guns are one of 25 sets made according to a letter from Colt that came with the guns... they are numbered CAF 80. I'm told the number could be ordered as the customer wanted...

Here is a close up of the left side of the silver gun...

In this photo we have the left side

And in this shot we have the right side...

And full left view

Finally a shot of the boxes

I was really pleased with the condition of the boxes... Colt's boxes are not very strong and often wind up in pretty bad condition...

I"m a bit worn today... still not over the spider bite (Brown Recluse) ... so I think I'll save the second gun for tomorrow...

Hope y'all all have a good evening...

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Awesome! I'm a colonel in the CAF...from back when it was the Confederate Air Force. A great organization...took a flight on FiFi a couple of years ago.

I never knew about those pistols for the CAF. It would be one of the few commemoratives that would interest me.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Pretty darn cool in my book.
I'm not a big fan of fancy either, but I'd be tempted by these, being an avid enthusiast of WW2 aircraft and the CAF :)

·
Premium Member
19,127 Posts
Is that tarnish/rust in the close-up picture of the right rear (picture 2) of the gun? I hope that is just some old grease that will wipe off!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no visable rust on the gun... the blue finish on guns is a form of rust (oxidation) and under the right (or maybe wrong) light conditions it shows up as rust.

I don't really understand why this is the case, but it seems to be so...

V/r

Chuck

Very nice!
I look forward to seeing the second gun!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts