Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Does anyone know if Colt will ever resume the manufacture of their revolver line?
To give you a straight answer, Colt has no plans right now (as far as we know) of introducing a new double action revolver.
We do know that Colt management has discussed a new revolver, but so far nothing seems to be forthcoming.

My best guess is that a new Colt will probably be something on the order of the Colt Magnum Carry, a small frame concealed carry revolver to take advantage of the booming concealed market.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
What big decision is there to make? Either yes or no. If it is yes ,you don't need to develop anything > The Magnum Carry ?DS2 series was fine ,and if restarted ,like the Mustang ,would sell. My advice ,which I am sure will be ignored , is to offer the Magnum Carry in 357 , in 2 inch ,then 3 and 4 inch ,as well as the DS2 or CC 2, for Colt Cobra in alloy and stainless in 38 2 inch , for a lightweight 38 .

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
As always when this comes up- Even bringing back an existing DESIGN would require development in production, parts, vendors, and so on.
The "decision" involves assessing profit & loss.

D,
Unless JF has better info than I do, couple months ago I was told by my Colt marketing guy nothing new in DA revolvers that he's aware of.
Denis

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Why do so many people seem to think there is some huge demand for DA revolvers in the marketplace that isn't being met?

From what I can observe, polymer semi-autos are the cash cow for most of the industry right now and that shows little signs of changing. Other than collectors (and maybe not even collectors), how many people really would want to by a $1000, heavy, reintroduced King Cobra with the cheaper Colt action capable of firing 6 rounds of .357?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
ASQUOTE=weagle99;504376]Why do so many people seem to think there is some huge demand for DA revolvers in the marketplace that isn't being met?

From what I can observe, polymer semi-autos are the cash cow for most of the industry right now and that shows little signs of changing. Other than collectors (and maybe not even collectors), how many people really would want to by a $1000, heavy, reintroduced King Cobra with the cheaper Colt action capable of firing 6 rounds of .357?[/QUOTE] They are buying other products because there are no Colts being produced. S&W is selling lots of 617 revolvers, two reasons. People want a quality 22 revolver ,and they make them. Can't sell what you don't make. Here is another thought to ponder. If You make NEW KING COBRAS, guess what happens to the price of the used , overpriced ones? They drop. What happened to the mildew boxed Mustangs when the new version came out? Duh. Revolver prices have risen because of a lack of supply of quality new ones ,especially Colts. By the way have you seen the prices of those inferior action BOAs? Bet a new version in bright stainless for $1000 msrp ,hitting the shelves for $850 ,would sell.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ASQUOTE=weagle99;504376]Why do so many people seem to think there is some huge demand for DA revolvers in the marketplace that isn't being met?From what I can observe, polymer semi-autos are the cash cow for most of the industry right now and that shows little signs of changing. Other than collectors (and maybe not even collectors), how many people really would want to by a $1000, heavy, reintroduced King Cobra with the cheaper Colt action capable of firing 6 rounds of .357?
They are buying other products because there are no Colts being produced. S&W is selling lots of 617 revolvers, two reasons. People want a quality 22 revolver ,and they make them. Can't sell what you don't make. Here is another thought to ponder. If You make NEW KING COBRAS, guess what happens to the price of the used , overpriced ones? They drop. What happened to the mildew boxed Mustangs when the new version came out? Duh. Revolver prices have risen because of a lack of supply of quality new ones ,especially Colts. By the way have you seen the prices of those inferior action BOAs? Bet a new version in bright stainless for $1000 msrp ,hitting the shelves for $850 ,would sell.[/QUOTE]

Lets don't remake the Boa please, I've got WAYYYYYY to much invested in them to be possibly losing on a remake

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I believe if Colt remade a Boa, a, it would have a different name and b it have a different serial number range to preserve the collectible BOA as a stand alone limited run, probably won't have to worry ,because I doubt we will ever see their like leave the Colt factory again

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Guys THIS EQUINE IS DEAD........If it were to happen it wouldn't be of the quality we are used to and at too high a high price point to begin with.If I were looking for another carry revolver , had 1000 to spend, I would put that cash into a 2 1/2 inch Lawman 357 magnum which would fit my D.S. holster and have some cash left over.I will believe it if and when I see it.That is my story and I am sticking to it......

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
As has been noted, there is a pretty slim market for a double action revovler. And Smith & Wesson and Ruger have pretty well cornered that market. The S&W L-Frame revolver would be one tough obstacle to overcome, and it is unlikely that Colt could compete in the N-Framed sized revovlers.

What more can be done with the Colt Single Action revolvers, other than to make them more readily available? And how could Colt compete with the Ruger Blackhawk line of magnums?

Colt shot themselves in the foot many years ago when they refused to get on the bandwagon with a good .44 Magnum and .45 Colt revovler. They will likely hobble from that for many, many years to come. They put all their cartridges in one basket for the law enforcement market and their goose didn't hatch.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
The demand is for old school quality double action revolvers. Not just double action revolvers.
Among collectors, yes and many times because the guns are discontinued.

Old school quality costs. I remain unconvinced that there is a huge untapped market for new, $1500+ 6-shot .357 DA revolvers. And even that cost might be too low because some new Smiths approach that and they are nowhere near the craftsmanship of yesteryear.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, the Python wasn't selling in great numbers before it was killed and it was being offered at a lower price point than what would be necessary today.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Here is my take on this subject. When I teach the Pistol Safety Course I let my students know up front that I am a revolver guy and give a preety fair presentation of the revolver -vs semi auto debate. Many will gravitate to the Tactical Tupperware but a good many like the revolver.For those who like the revolver I tell the story of 2 MOdel 640's that became frame cracked barrel launchers and the "Classic" Model 36 Chiefs Special that was the replacement for launcher #2. It went back to S+W 4 times with a barrel that was canted severely to the right. Time #4 they got around to replacing the barrel and fixing the problem.If you are going to get a S+W revolver get a older model S+W because the quality is there and present Quality Control sucks or get a D/A Colt Revolver. If Colt were to get into the D/A Market now I would have the same advice there also.....JMHO ......Mike

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
All they need is someone that really knows how to market the Colt double action magnum carry or other non-rebound lever(labor intensive action) Colt revolver, and they could make a killing (I think). They have the history & the name recognition,although that's decreasing pretty quickly as the older population dies off. If they had one or a few really good advertisements it seems they could sell plenty.Just look at what one Clint Eastwood movie did for the S&W 44 mag.
They must not have any innovative, self driven,motivated,smart marketing people there at Colt. But then maybe they are all UNion workers,that aren't motivated at all.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts