Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,
This is my first post on this great Colt forum; I have been reading for a little while now. I currently own four Colts...

1. 1972 6" Python new in the box
2. Early 1970's Colt Detective Special in Factory Nickel, also new in the box never been fired.
3. 1941 Detective Special, one of the first 20 made that year, no box and missing the factory hammer shroud. but shows, 98% original blue.
4. Series 70 1911 as new with box.

Anyhoo, I have been looking for another nice set of grips for my Python. I came across a ebay auction that has a pair of Fuzzy Farrent grips in Zebra Wood, I have found a little about this grips maker - but what are they worth??? The ones in the auction are new in the box... I have not bought any non-factory collectible grips, so that is why I am lost here.

Here are the grips in question:

Thanks for the help!!!
~RoyalBlue~

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
DO NOT take this as "gospel",BUT,I seem to recall that some models of Fuzzy's grips required "alterations" to the grip frame of the gun. I know of one S&W that this was done to, Hopefully,someone will know if this is true,or an :urban legend"?

In the meantime,see if you can get seller to answer this,or at least get a photo of the backside of the grips.

Good Luck;nice set of "stocks"!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Fuzzy Farrent Grips - For a Python, how much??

I have seen pictures of the stocks that you need to alter the frame, these will fit a stock python...

So, no worries there.
~RoyalBlue~

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Since Farrant is dead, his original grips are being hunted by collectors.

Farrant was an LAPD officer, and did grip work in his spare time.
He made the grips BY HAND, including checkering.

How much they are worth is strictly how much someone will spend.

If I had the money, I personally would go $150.00, maybe even more for new Farrant's that didn't require frame alteration.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's a pair I got off ebay for $5.00 from Canada. They do require frame alteration. I wish they were for a S&W K frame! I didn't have a Colt I was willing to alter the frame on, so I bought a holster-worn Official Police with a good action to grind away on. The OP came with some kind of target grip that a former owner had used a file on, obviously worrying more about function than form! However, I love shooting it just the way it is, so I guess I'll have to buy another one to modify for the Farrant grips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts