Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This drove into my shop yesterday. I am very impressed with it. It's a 1934 Plymouth Deluxe. I haven't asked but I got to think this guy is into Colt's. If your here Mr Customer I hope you don't mind me posting a couple pictures of your FAT ride. I like to think this Army Special would have hitched a ride in this along with a Tommy Gun.

I just needed an excuse to post pictures of my new to me grips for this AS.:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a couple more and a S&W that also went for ride in this car.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Good looking Sedan!

Plymouth was a very well made Car then too.

I like the little 'Floating Power' mention there in the Insturment Cluster face...

So, yeahhh...if you were buying a brand new '34 Plymouth in 1934, and, your first stop on the way home, was to buy a Hand Gun...

What would you get?

( Not to take anything away from the Detective Special, or others, but...) I am pretty confident I would have got myself a nice Colt Government Model in .38 Super...a few extra Magazines, a few boxes of Cartridges, a nice Shoulder Holster, maybe stopped for a De-Luxe sit-down Lunch somewhere along the way, stopped for Gas and and had the Attendant top 'er off, finished driving Home, and, been very, very happy...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Beautiful car !! And the Colts compliment it perfectly. Where's Twaits, this is right up his alley !!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The '34 Plymouth certainly is a beautiful car. Here is a similar one, also a 4-door sedan, that we had at a Public Enemies of 1934 Dillinger reenactment in Mason City, Iowa a few years back. To keep it relevant, it's a Colt's New Service in the shoulder holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
It would be very hard to find any Amercian Car from 1933 or 1934, which was not Good Looking.

Some, more than others, sure, but, those two years, really were a, or 'the' High Water Mark.

The Dodge and Plymouth Coupes had much shorter Windows than did the Sedans, and, almost appear 'chopped' at first glance, because of it.

Both had a beautifully engineered independent front Suspension, and, were all Steel Bodies through out ( while most other makes still had quite a lot of Wood in their Bodys and Doors and so on).

Both were amazingly light, peppy, and handled very well.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Oyeboten; Don't forget the hydraulic brakes.......
Oh! You are right!

I used to have a '34 Dodge 'Deluxe' Business Coupe...from a distance, and from the side, it looked like a Custom Bodied Duesenberg...low LOW Windows, long LONG Hood, tiny Cab, loooooooooong rear deck lid...man, was it ever good looking. Driving it felt just like driving an early MG, that thing cornered great and hugged the road wonderfully, none of that 'Lean and Roll' like GM or Ford or most everything else in the mid to late '30s. That front suspension was wonderful and a brilliant design...tons of Zerk fittings, and strong too.

The Dodge Coupe I had was close to 85 Horse if memory serve, and weighed like 2400 lbs, so, either it or the slightly smaller/lighter and a few less Cubic Inches Plymouth Coupe moved out real well around Town, either one would be nice and peppy, good Brakes too. The Sedans of course would weigh more and have a little more wind resistence and would tend to corner a little less well for their weight distribution.

Without Overdrive though, neither would handle to-days Freeways or Interstates.

Plymouth was about the same deal overall, if a tiny bit smaller Engine and different detailing here and there.

I might even have ordered or sought out a .38 Super in 'Nickle' now that I think of it..! To go with my new '34 Plymouth!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Had a few antique cars back in the 70's and 80's, including a Plymouth 1931, 2 door sedan with original 27000 miles. It was all steel, hydro brakes, free wheeling. Showed it all over the North East. Also, had a 34 Chrysler and a 41 Plymouth, 2, 31 Chev. Coups and a 37 Ford, 4 door convert. The Ford and Chev's had mechanical brakes. Oh, to be young and foolish, lol..Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts