Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
A freak Dragoon in 100% condition without box and papers is worth in the neighborhood of $650. Values go down from there. At 98% you're looking at $425.00

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
What is the serial number?

·
Registered
513 Posts
It is a nice looking gun.
Though it only carries a small premium over a standard production 3rd model Dragoon, there are only 94 of these Garibaldi 'freaks.' You won't see these appear on the market very often. As soon as you shoot it, the value will be whatever used guns go for (see gunbroker) - probably around the $300-$600 range.

Since they only made so few of them, and it is your intent to shoot, I would recommend selling this one to a collector for $700-$900 and using that money to buy a new/used standard production model (qty 2731) for $300-$600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a nice looking gun.
Though it only carries a small premium over a standard production 3rd model Dragoon, there are only 94 of these Garibaldi 'freaks.' You won't see these appear on the market very often. As soon as you shoot it, the value will be whatever used guns go for (see gunbroker) - probably around the $300-$600 range.

Since they only made so few of them, and it is your intent to shoot, I would recommend selling this one to a collector for $700-$900 and using that money to buy a new/used standard production model (qty 2731) for $300-$600.

That is what I am going to do with it... Sell it and buy something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A freak Dragoon in 100% condition without box and papers is worth in the neighborhood of $650. Values go down from there. At 98% you're looking at $425.00

I got my letter of authentication from Colt and not all "freaks" went out in a box. Mine was sent out to a buyer in Fort Worth as he requested in the clear plastic bag I bought it in . I completely agree I am going to leave it unfired for someone who can appreciate it and get me a shooter.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What is a Garibaldi Freak?? First time I have heard this term. The Garibaldi issue had engraving and gold inlays. While the photos are poor, I do not see this.

·
Registered
513 Posts
In 1982, Colt produced the Giuseppe Garibaldi Special Edition. The model number is F1740 EGA. This was an 'F' series 3rd Dragoon that had the portraits of Garibaldi and Colt on the cylinder and gold etched panels on the barrel. It was encased in a French fit, red velvet lined case, that had an etched glass top. The serial number range was GCA1000 to GCA1299.

The 'Freak' Dragoon is an 'unfinished' model from a small batch of the Garibaldi edition within the serial number range listed above. As you note, it was stated that the 'freak' dragoon in this thread carries the serial number GCA122xx (I wished that people would just spell out the serial number instead of filling it in with 'X's - in this case, too many 'X's). The finishing of the 'Freak' Dragoon is the same as the Garibaldi edition, except that there is no etching on the cylinder or barrel. The gun did not come with a presentation case.

It is estimated that there are 206+ Garibaldi's and 94 'Freaks.'

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thanks, I have a Garibaldi with factory ivories. I had never heard of the Freak.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
In 1982, Colt produced the Giuseppe Garibaldi Special Edition. The model number is F1740 EGA. This was an 'F' series 3rd Dragoon that had the portraits of Garibaldi and Colt on the cylinder and gold etched panels on the barrel. It was encased in a French fit, red velvet lined case, that had an etched glass top. The serial number range was GCA1000 to GCA1299.

The 'Freak' Dragoon is an 'unfinished' model from a small batch of the Garibaldi edition within the serial number range listed above. As you note, it was stated that the 'freak' dragoon in this thread carries the serial number GCA122xx (I wished that people would just spell out the serial number instead of filling it in with 'X's - in this case, too many 'X's). The finishing of the 'Freak' Dragoon is the same as the Garibaldi edition, except that there is no etching on the cylinder or barrel. The gun did not come with a presentation case.

It is estimated that there are 206+ Garibaldi's and 94 'Freaks.'
Thanks! I was wondering myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts