Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When bidding on GB which technique do you prefer:

1) Make only one "highest/best" bid and walk away...

2) Chip away at the bidding by placing several incremental bids over the life of the auction...

3) Only place bids within the last 5 minutes of the auction...

I have to admit to have done each, but when bidding on an auction I really, really HATE IT when someone shows up at the last minute and plays the "spoiler"...

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
Bidding at five minutes wastes ten minutes, since a bid within fifteen minutes of close automatically extends the close by fifteen minutes.

There is no reason to bid before fifteen minutes remains, since earlier bids give other bidders longer to talk themselves into bidding more than they have already decided to bid. Just before fifteen minutes remain, bid the maximum you are willing to pay and walk away. (Or watch and talk YOURSELF into bidding more after your maximum bid is exceeded!)

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
When bidding on GB which technique do you prefer:

1) Make only one "highest/best" bid and walk away...

I have sometimes done it that way, yes.

2) Chip away at the bidding by placing several incremental bids over the life of the auction...
I have never done that, ever...

3) Only place bids within the last 5 minutes of the auction...
That is usually what I have done.

And, usually, I have been the only Bidder, anyway.

The few times I was not the only Biider anyway, one of two things happened -

1) Other Bidder out-Bids my last minute Bid, giving the Auction another fifteen minutes...where, I then, out-bid his out-bid, and, we go back and forth, till one of us ( usually me ) drops out.

I will confess to having incidentally done this, to where, an honest old $300.00 Gun, went to the other Bidder for a cool "$475.00" or so.

And, I felt 'Okay' about that, since if he'd dropped out, it could have gone to me for $470.00" or whatever...

Whew!!!

Dangerous!!

I have to admit to have done each, but when bidding on an auction I really, really HATE IT when someone shows up at the last minute and plays the "spoiler"...

Most of the Auctions I have won, I was the only Bidder, or, someone else did a bid early on, and, never upped it, and, my Bid then prevailed.

A few times, I won, putting a single, one time Bid in early on, since the Auction was going to close during some Hour when I knew I would not be home to review or Bid on it before it closed.

But, that has only occurred a few times. And usually someone out-bids me when I have done that.

My favorite is to Bid within the last fifteen minutes, and, to watch and see what shakes with that, staying at my Computer...and or, to find out whether I may end up bidding against anyone, or not in those final fifteen minute end-of-auction time frames.

I have had a few quite good 'But it Now' winnings, usually, ones I happened to spot which had been listed five or ten minutes earlier, where, I was sure, I had only moments to decide, or else, it was going to "go" fast, soon as some other half-way savvy boy or Girl spotted it.

Fun!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Usually wait to see what kind of activity happens within the last 15 minutes and if nothing with around 5-7 minutes left make my best bid and turn it off cuz if you dont go away you will keep bidding

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bidding at five minutes wastes ten minutes, since a bid within fifteen minutes of close automatically extends the close by fifteen minutes.

There is no reason to bid before fifteen minutes remains, since earlier bids give other bidders longer to talk themselves into bidding more than they have already decided to bid. Just before fifteen minutes remain, bid the maximum you are willing to pay and walk away. (Or watch and talk YOURSELF into bidding more after your maximum bid is exceeded!)
Very good advice...

Reactions: Lancer

·
Registered
893 Posts
I bid odd numbers, having won at the last minute when someone bids, say $100.00 even, and I win by pennies, say 101.27. I also monitor the bidders to try to look inside their head. Say a bidder has a low number of wins, to me that may indicate a buyer buying for keeps/collecting vs. a speculator wanting to resell and make a profit. Bidders with low win histories may want that magazine to round out his collection. Those types get caught up in "winning" and shoot the price way up cause they "have" to have that particular item. I set in my mind my "max" bid, bid at the last second (on Ebay). GunBroker is trickier with their 15 minute rule. On Ebay I'll have my phone/computer set so all I have to do is press a button/key. I bid my max bid - and go to sleep - finding out in the morn if I won. Nice "eye-opener". I've lost by pennies at the last second and cannot understand how some winners know how to top my bid by just pennies, not having shown up in the bid history process. Frustrating at times, but just don't get into a winning bid war. I learned long ago that another similar item will get posted. I watched an Ebel watch go to the moon, only to find another, even better condition item that bidders have missed by concentrating on that particular item and excluding another similar/better item that just got posted minutes before. I've also won more time by contacting a seller direct and saying "I'll pay your price, can you wait a bit for payment. That has worked well many times. The "personal touch". Example, I was watching an antique travel clock that didn't keep time at all but looked good. When the high bid got inflated, I did a new search - finding a better working clock, with box, and keeping time. Original item sold over $400 and I snagged the better one for half that price "Buy It Now". Know the fine points of the item you want and don't get snoockered or caught up in bidding wars. Be willing to walk away - cause another will surely show up. If an item is rare and you know the price is going to the moon, Contact the seller and tell them you really want their item but don't have the moola right that second, Offer him privately a higher price if he'll just give you a bit more tine to round up the funds. The seller might be a nice guy who understands money crunches and will pull the auction, make more $ by delaying the auction 'death toll: I won my threaded MT Bullseye; by contacting seller that I'd pay an extra $25 if he'd work with me. He had a unique item that went unbid and that he had reposted in a prior auction. I was the only interested buyer but needed a few days to pay for it. I got inside his head and he agreed to wait for an additional $25. And now it's mine. Answered my question of whether the barrel could indeed be threaded. It's unusual since it has both rounded and flat sides. So for an additional $25, I got an answer to my "project" without re-inventing the wheel, saving money and headaches in that initial critical project step. Likely saved me $100. Maybe I could have just laid low and gotten it cheaper than his Buy It Now price right that minute in the auction. But I got what I wanted in the end offering him $25 over his auction right then. I got exactly what I wanted, most lookers likely passed on a modified threaded barrel. I also won a great-looking MT pistol since seller offered a 9 month lay-a-way. I ended paying an extra $5-600 for the pistol and was prepared to go higher, Now I sold on Ebay a Swiss Ebel watch and madde $25 extra by jumping the price a bit when it didn;t sell for $500 even, And the sales price will let me pay-off my MT Law-a-way faster. I'm pretty good at juggling money around, Auctions are wars, Develop a strategy to win, and like poker know when to fold em.

Reactions: Lancer

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What few pieces I buy off GB I personally enjoy the last minute adrenalin rush,doesn't do much for my wallet but man it's a rush
I agree!

It is thrilling...

And too...compared to the Local Gun Shows anymore, Gunbroker is just so much more fun, so much easier, so much less expensive, is available 24/7/365, and, offers so much vastly better of a variety.

I still always find ways of enjoying the local Gun Shows, but, at the end of the day, Gunbroker has been much more fun, and, has provided me far more opportunities for obtaining old Guns I like, which kinds of Guns, pretty well never occur in Local Gun Show contexts any more anyway.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I usually make one bid for my max out put and walk away.I either buy it or I don't.No rhyme or reason as to when I bid.How can you get an adrenalin rush being bitten by a BOA?That's a sickness in and of it's self.D*

Reactions: prostrok

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I watch the auction progress over several days to see where it's going. If it goes up beyond my limit, I give it up. If it has possibilities, in its last hours or minutes I bid max of what it's worth to me. I bid a bit over the even numbers, like $1517 for a 1500. A lot of people focus on numbers like, 5s, 10s, etc.

I try to keepin mind "would I rather have the gun or that amount of money?" ---- trying to keep aware of its value vs. my 'want factor'.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Great thread, I like to wait until right at 15 min, so as to not prolong the auction ending time with my one time highest willing to pay price and that's it. More times than not I am outbid but once in a while I'll win. 👍💵🔫🍺

·
Registered
625 Posts
Prostrok, I'm a lil slow and I can't for the life of me figure out what the BOA 5/6, 69/70, etc. mean. BOA=colt snake but what are the numbers? (Consec. serial sets?) sorry for the high jack and I thought to PM but thought maybe someone else is thinking same and is embarrassed to ask as I've been for a few days lol. Please tell me how dumb I am........😉🔫

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Prostrok, I'm a lil slow and I can't for the life of me figure out what the BOA 5/6, 69/70, etc. mean. BOA=colt snake but what are the numbers? (Consec. serial sets?) sorry for the high jack and I thought to PM but thought maybe someone else is thinking same and is embarrassed to ask as I've been for a few days lol. Please tell me how dumb I am........😉🔫
LOL RCF,most guys on here think I'm the dummy. Yes those are consectutive serial numbered sets I'm fortune enough to own that came in the factory presentation case. Looking for set number 6

·
Registered
625 Posts
LOL RCF,most guys on here think I'm the dummy. Yes those are consectutive serial numbered sets I'm fortune enough to own that came in the factory presentation case. Looking for set number 6
Wow very impressive! I thought it may be that but thought damn could one person have that many consecutive serial BOA sets!?!? Now that I know that's your thang I'll keep an eye out for you on those! Congrats & thx for the clarification!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.