Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 GCNM that is driving me crazy. When I first got it I would have a number of failures every mag, it went back to Colt twice. I'm still getting a failure about once every 50 rounds where the next round gets hung up on the feed ramp, leaving a dimple in the middle of the round. It locks the gun up pretty good. Have replaced the recoil spring on Colt's recommendation which did nothing. Any ideas?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,664 Posts
The common possible causes are........

Try different ammo.

Try a different magazine or two.

Extractor needs tuning.
To check this, remove the slide and the barrel from the slide.
Push a live round up under the extractor and with the slide right side up, gently shake it.
The live round should not fall out.
If it does the extractor needs to be tentioned.

Inspect the extractor for the proper bevels. See the link........

Inspect the feed ramp for roughness or improper alteration.
The ramp needs to be SMOOTH......NOT polished like a mirror.

Remove any recoil buffers.
These limit the slide travel and can cause feed and ejection problems.

Make sure the gun is clean and properly lubed.
Clean the extractor tunnel of impacted fouling.

Inspect the breech face for roughness or machine marks. Again SMOOTH not like a mirror.

Make sure the recoil spring is the correct one for the ammo you're using.
For full power ammo a 16 pound spring is correct.
For lighter Target loads a lighter spring was usually supplied with the Gold Cup.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The common possible causes are........

Try different ammo.
Shouldn't it work with any factory ammo?

Try a different magazine or two.
I had the same problem with a Chip McCormick and a Wilson Combat mag.

Extractor needs tuning.
To check this, remove the slide and the barrel from the slide.
Push a live round up under the extractor and with the slide right side up, gently shake it.
The live round should not fall out.
If it does the extractor needs to be tentioned.
I can try but would that impact feeding?

Inspect the extractor for the proper bevels. See the link........

Inspect the feed ramp for roughness or improper alteration.
The ramp needs to be SMOOTH......NOT polished like a mirror.
There is no feed ramp, it's like the original.

Remove any recoil buffers.
These limit the slide travel and can cause feed and ejection problems.

Make sure the gun is clean and properly lubed.
Clean the extractor tunnel of impacted fouling.
It was cleaned and lubed before using yesterday.

Inspect the breech face for roughness or machine marks. Again SMOOTH not like a mirror.

Make sure the recoil spring is the correct one for the ammo you're using.
For full power ammo a 16 pound spring is correct.
For lighter Target loads a lighter spring was usually supplied with the Gold Cup.
Just put in a new 16 lb. Wolfe spring before using it yesterday.

Don't ask me how this ever left the factory the way it originally shot. I used to have a Taurus 1911 I never had any problems with. I do like it though, maybe I should just put up with it since it's not a SD or competition gun. Have gotten several one-hole groups at 30'.
GCNM 001.JPG

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you are getting the same jams with different magazines, different ammo, (all factory ammo is not created equally), new springs and a clean and lubed gun...
I would look closer at the extractor. The rim of the case has to slide up and under the extractor will ease (not loose) as the round chambers otherwise the bullet nose can jam on the feed ramp as the slide moves forward.
Try removing the slide and sliding a rounf onto the breach face. Inspect for dents, dings and burrs. If it takes a lot of force to slide the round into position...they may be too much tension on the extractor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are getting the same jams with different magazines, different ammo, (all factory ammo is not created equally), new springs and a clean and lubed gun...
I would look closer at the extractor. The rim of the case has to slide up and under the extractor will ease (not loose) as the round chambers otherwise the bullet nose can jam on the feed ramp as the slide moves forward.
Try removing the slide and sliding a rounf onto the breach face. Inspect for dents, dings and burrs. If it takes a lot of force to slide the round into position...they may be too much tension on the extractor.
Thanks, will try that.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,664 Posts
How exactly is the round hanging up on the feed ramp?

If the round is partially entering the chamber and hanging at that point, leaving a dent in the case, is could be that the area of the barrel where it breaks into the chamber is sharp.

If this is where it's hanging up, that area of the barrel light need a very small amount of beveling to eliminate the edge.

You can either try Colt again, which is a good choice because it would be a warranty repair.
Or, you could send it to a good pistolsmith like Frank Glenn, who's a well known member here.

In any case, I suggest shooting the gun until you get a stoppage, then take a good high resolution digital photo into the ejector port and send that along with the gun.
Actually seeing the stoppage is a great aid for the pistolsmith, and will often narrow the problem to a single area.

There is NO reason to put up with this. Personally, I'd be sending the gun, some photos of the dented round and stoppage back to Colt, along with the fact that this would be the third trip back.
If this is under warranty Colt should pay for shipping both ways.
Contact them for a shipping label or a pickup.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How exactly is the round hanging up on the feed ramp?

If the round is partially entering the chamber and hanging at that point, leaving a dent in the case, is could be that the area of the barrel where it breaks into the chamber is sharp.

If this is where it's hanging up, that area of the barrel light need a very small amount of beveling to eliminate the edge.

You can either try Colt again, which is a good choice because it would be a warranty repair.
Or, you could send it to a good pistolsmith like Frank Glenn, who's a well known member here.

In any case, I suggest shooting the gun until you get a stoppage, then take a good high resolution digital photo into the ejector port and send that along with the gun.
Actually seeing the stoppage is a great aid for the pistolsmith, and will often narrow the problem to a single area.

There is NO reason to put up with this. Personally, I'd be sending the gun, some photos of the dented round and stoppage back to Colt, along with the fact that this would be the third trip back.
If this is under warranty Colt should pay for shipping both ways.
Contact them for a shipping label or a pickup.
It isn't under warranty, I haven't shot it in a year or so and thought it was fixed. Colt said I had to take it to a gunsmith. You'd think they'd know how to make a functioning 1911 by now. More proof Colt's are hit or miss. Will take your suggestion and take a photo on the next stoppage.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Interesting. Lots of good advice in posts above. I bought one of the GCNM MkIV Series 80 "roundtops" in 2012. Saw it in a LGS. I took off the rubber wrap around grips and put some wood stocks on it from the old Ajax Co. in the picture below. I think it was about 2013 or so Colt started grooving the front of the grip again and putting wood stocks on them. Oh well.

I have not had any problems with it and have been quite impressed with it. Of course I bought it from the LGS because the fit and finish impressed me for the about $1K it cost.

The only thought I could add is how does it feed loaded rounds? Load a mag. Keep finger off the trigger. Pull the slide back and chamber a round. Then pull the slide back again and chamber another round. The first loaded round should eject out of the pistol. Empty the mag doing this. You probably want to do this at a range by the way.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
A good HD picture of a round hung up might help a lot.
Is the bullet nose jammed against the feed ramp?
Has the round been released from the feed lips?
Is the ding shown the top of the round?
Does the jam occur at any specific number in the magazine?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Lots of good advice in posts above. I bought one of the GCNM MkIV Series 80 "roundtops" in 2012. Saw it in a LGS. I took off the rubber wrap around grips and put some wood stocks on it from the old Ajax Co. in the picture below. I think it was about 2013 or so Colt started grooving the front of the grip again and putting wood stocks on them. Oh well.

I have not had any problems with it and have been quite impressed with it. Of course I bought it from the LGS because the fit and finish impressed me for the about $1K it cost.

The only thought I could add is how does it feed loaded rounds? Load a mag. Keep finger off the trigger. Pull the slide back and chamber a round. Then pull the slide back again and chamber another round. The first loaded round should eject out of the pistol. Empty the mag doing this. You probably want to do this at a range by the way.
Thanks, but that's essentially what I've been doing when I shoot it, I'm getting one of these failures about every 50 rounds consistently.

I prefer the rubber wrap around grips.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A good HD picture of a round hung up might help a lot.
Is the bullet nose jammed against the feed ramp?
Has the round been released from the feed lips?
Is the ding shown the top of the round?
Does the jam occur at any specific number in the magazine?
Ding is middle of the round, as shown on post #9. Yes, round has been released from the feed lip, but jams halfway in to the point where it locks up the gun. No pattern as to when it happens.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got to say the 1 year Colt warranty is pretty pathetic. I once had a problem used Rock Island 1911, they ended up sending me a new one even though I wasn't the original owner.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Sorry to hear that. 1911s aren't rocket science and in the grand scheme of things easy to fix. A decent smith could likely fix your gun in just a few minutes time. 1911s take three (equal parts) things to make them run, good ammo, good mags and a good gun. You've more than done your part. Colt dropped the ball on this one.

I'd first look at the barrel throat and then the ramp. Next I'd tune the extractor. You have the right recoil spring, mags and ammo already.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear that. 1911s aren't rocket science and in the grand scheme of things easy to fix. A decent smith could likely fix your gun in just a few minutes time.
So why couldn't Colt fix it when I sent it back to them twice?

1911s take three (equal parts) things to make them run, good ammo, good mags and a good gun. You've more than done your part. Colt dropped the ball on this one.

I'd first look at the barrel throat and then the ramp. Next I'd tune the extractor. You have the right recoil spring, mags and ammo already.
There is no ramp, it's like John designed the original. Yes, some have suggested the extractor, funny that would impact feeding.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

There is no ramp, it's like John designed the original. Yes, some have suggested the extractor, funny that would impact feeding.

My last email to Colt trying to get them to take some responsibility (they have some history this is a problem gun) went unanswered, wow have they changed since Brent left. Guess they want me to sell it and have someone else bad mouthing Colt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts