Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to see if all the internet Colt haters were right or wrong about the new Python. I’ve owned several blued models from the early 1960 era, but those were sold due to profit-taking fever. I bought a NIB 4.25” Python from CG&G yesterday. Loaded up some BB Wadcutters with Unique and took my last box of Federal Gold Medal Match to the range. A hot day, so the grips will get pulled for metal cleaning and lube.
150 rounds later, my bestest targets are posted. No failures on the part of the Colt. I found out, yet again, that the Python grips roll up in my hands during rapid double-action fire. They are comfortable, but I’ll be looking for some finger-groove Combat grips for double-action fun. At this time, I am going to give Colt a gold star for quality. Much better trigger than my old models in double-action. As I noticed when pulling targets, I nose-dive the gun in rapid double-action. I hope the Combat grips will help that tendency. No matter, once sighted in 6 clicks up and 4 clicks right, the Python did what Pythons normally do, make this 1911 shooter appreciate a finely crafted revolver.
The only questionable part of the Python is the rear sight looseness, as I found described in several online posts, prior to buying this Colt. It appears like the factory intentionally spec’d the sight base to be smaller than needed, I assume to eliminate hand-fitting costs and junked sights. I find the elevation spring is what is keeping the sight in place after each recoil impulse. The sight may well move side-to-side from recoil, but I can’t shoot well enough to blame my aiming errors on the gun. If I was concerned about it, the assembly could be shimmed. As it is, it is more than accurate enough for self defense, deer or other game, or steel challenge. I have it close enough for government work, so I’ll leave it alone.
Time to locate a 6” model, and hope they eventually make Blued or maybe my favorite, Electroless Nickel models.

86DE34AF-358B-4124-BF25-8980AFBC8430.jpeg

Attachments
  • EAC2941B-033C-43CA-9DA9-8C0253CA0B43.jpeg
    EAC2941B-033C-43CA-9DA9-8C0253CA0B43.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5
  • A2F5D549-FAFE-46ED-9D7F-5C5FF5B9D7C3.jpeg
    A2F5D549-FAFE-46ED-9D7F-5C5FF5B9D7C3.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
  • E76DF5EA-6D9E-45D5-A361-590C7B72ADE0.jpeg
    E76DF5EA-6D9E-45D5-A361-590C7B72ADE0.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 048710F5-0A96-4651-BD75-5255AE6A0B58.jpeg
    048710F5-0A96-4651-BD75-5255AE6A0B58.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both new model pythons and I really like them, are they as smooth as my 1971? No but they are much nicer than my performance center smiths. I have 2 Smith pc revolvers and they to me are a huge disappointment in trigger weight, smoothness ect... whereas the new pythons and my king cobra target beat them in every way

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
While growing up I would lust over a Python in my Guns & Ammo magazines. Eventually I had an opportunity in ‘88 to buy a new Python but both family responsibilities and disposable income wouldn’t cooperate. So, instead I bought a Ruger GP100. I thoroughly enjoyed it but something wasn’t “right”… I still wanted a Python!

Fast forward and, after retirement, I bought my ‘78 Python and first Colt. What no one told me was the Colt passion would start after my first one…. No worries though, you can’t take the moola to the grave! 😂

·
Registered
681 Posts
In my 50 years of gun collecting, I have seen numerous quality handguns have problems and fail.. Others, not a minutes problem with them in thousands of rounds. I recently acquired a NIB Mossberg MC2C 9 mm pistol based on the large numbers of good reviews on the internet. In the first 100 rounds I had five light strikes and failure to fire and six instances of the trigger not resetting for the next shot. I sent it back to Mossberg and it was returned to me in less than 2 1/2 weeks. Their customer service department is outstanding. The work order said that they replaced the barrel. The next 100 rounds, no issues whatsoever. I'm glad that you got a good one. I believe that there was only a small percentage of the first run that had problems and Colt addressed the problem quickly. I have had several Pythons in the past and they were excellent shooters. Enjoy your new gun in good health.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good to hear . My LGS gets one in about once a month but they only last about an hour in the display case .
I only shoot 10 to 20 yards so I’ll have to decide what barrel length I want .

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir... and Congrats on your new Colt Python !!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
The initial lot of, O lets say, under the 3000 S/N range (6" models") had some issues with screws loosening and it messed up the cylinder rotation. Some folks also complained about the hammer strike being too light. I didn't have a Hammer Strike problem but sure enough the Cylinder rotation got wonky after about 300 rounds. Sent it back to Colt and a couple of weeks later it was back. For me, it was well worth it to get an early S/N. I wasn't all that worried about it and picked up the 4.25" before the 6" even got back from Colt. I don't think that there has been any further systemic issues since early in the first run. As with most things, people who are uninformed or just plain haters will perpetuate the myth that the new Python isn't very good and point to the initial release forever. That is their loss, it is a very nice .357 Mag and its .44 Mag big brother, the Anaconda, might even be a little better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt more than a hundred actually had issues. I’m a long time (since 1971) owner of both S&W and Colt revolvers (and 1911’s).

The one we have in the household now is phenomenal. Another one is on the way.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Much adoo about nothing... If you don't like Colt's, don't buy one. Someone wants to bash my choice of guns...why would I give one ratz-azz about what someone on the internet thinks. I know I'm having more fun than they are, because I have better taste in guns.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Much adoo about nothing... If you don't like Colt's, don't buy one. Someone wants to bash my choice of guns...why would I give one ratz-azz about what someone on the internet thinks. I know I'm having more fun than they are, because I have better taste in guns.
With all due respect, just because you’ve been lucky don’t put down those of us who weren’t. My first, early 2020 Python was a nightmare, locking up after shooting due to a too-small machined forcing cone, sent back to Colt, and then the same issue Hickok45 had of the cylinder not advancing. To Colts credit, they replaced my gun the third time with a new one that runs flawlessly. It took dozens of phone calls since there’s one overworked person manning their customer service lines.

Before you pass off these early major problems on a nearly $2000 pistol as “you having better taste”, I’d ask you to give pause and see how you’d feel after being out all that money and for months not having a working gun. Empathy, please…

·
Registered
921 Posts
utex,

My comments were directed at the haters. The people who bash the Python, yet don't have one, and don't intend to.

I understand and do empathize with those who have had problems; that's never fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
utex,

My comments were directed at the haters. The people who bash the Python, yet don't have one, and don't intend to.

I understand and do empathize with those who have had problems; that's never fun.
Understood, and thanks for the clarification. The internet trolls making comments from their parents basement regarding things where they have no clue, we will always have those people hanging around shooting off their mouths. Still, there is a reason for skepticism on the reliability of the new Python. Granted, thousands of people have had no issues, but clearly there is a disproportionate amount of people experiencing issues with them. It’s a great revolver, if you feel like 1) taking a chance and 2) willing to deal with months of hassle if the odds bite you on the butt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts