Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stopped by my gunsmith's shop today. The clerk showed me a new acquisition, handing it to me in an open zippered case. The gun was a Colt .45 Automatic, looking very much like a brand new Government Model. But the slide read "Model of 1911" and the frame read "US Government Property." And the grips were the most handsome checkered walnut grips I've ever seen on an autoloader.

The roll marks were sharp and crisp, the hammer a beavertail hammer spur, and arched mainspring housing. I did not examine the pistol closely, and my description is not what it should be, being the sixgun man that I am.

There was a letter: The gun was shipped in April, 1918, to an Army station in Brooklyn, New York, part of a 1,000+ shipment, if I remember correctly. But further statements showed the current opwner returned the pistol to the Colt factory in April, 2012, and was returned in Feb. 2013.

Work included complete refurbishing and enhancing the rollmarks and high polish blue.

Interesting. No price known yet.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not to steal Bobs thread but Does a refinish of this model kill the value ? I have my Dads old 1911 mentioned on other posts. The slide has no finish on it. Would it be heresy to refinish this old gun ?

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Not to steal Bobs thread but Does a refinish of this model kill the value ? I have my Dads old 1911 mentioned on other posts. The slide has no finish on it. Would it be heresy to refinish this old gun ?
It's something like the saying about George Washington's ax that he used to chop down the cherry tree; all original except the handle that has been replace twice and the head that has been replaced once.

It would depend on what the pistol was to start with. If it was just a mix or parts, as it as the incorrect mainspring housing, it may have had no collector value to start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.