Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for documentation regarding a Colt 1903 that was issued as part of the Genereal Officer Pistol Program.
How does one go about locating the original recipient?

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
There are two books that might help you in your search for information. One is "The Colt U.S. General Officer's Pistol" by Horace Greely IV (1989 by Andew Mobray Publishers). The other is John Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols II" (2009, Phillips Publications). They both contain some serial number listings. Brunner's book has two listings: pistol serial numbers with dates and names and names with pistol serial numbers. An relative of mine, LTG Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., is listed in the name index but only the caliber is shown, no serial number.
Good luck in your search.

-Buckspen

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Buckspen. I will certainly reference those books. Is LTG Buckner's pistol still in your family's possession?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to spend the $$ you can always get hold of Colt and ask them who the General was who received the pistol in question.
A Colt factory letter has been ordered but it may not offer any leads. The historian thought that it would likely letter to the U.S. Government without identifying an individual.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Colt doesn't know unless it is one of the very first ones. Most were just shipped to Springfield Armory and issued from there. If you want to send me the number I may be able to help you.

Regards,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
There are two books that might help you in your search for information. One is "The Colt U.S. General Officer's Pistol" by Horace Greely IV (1989 by Andew Mobray Publishers). The other is John Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols II" (2009, Phillips Publications). They both contain some serial number listings. Brunner's book has two listings: pistol serial numbers with dates and names and names with pistol serial numbers. An relative of mine, LTG Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., is listed in the name index but only the caliber is shown, no serial number.
Good luck in your search.

-Buckspen
I certainly remember reading about your relative. Lt. General Buckner was KIA in combat on Okinawa. He died serving his country, God Bless.
Marine Lt. General Roy Geiger assumed command upon his untimely death.

Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
By all accounts, Gen. Buckner was a fine officer and it was a great loss to the Army when he was killed. The whereabouts of his .380 caliber General Officer's pistol is not known to me. My wife wrote an article about his father, Simon Bolivar Buckner (the first) for the Ohio Gun Collector's Association newsletter. S.B. Buckner (the first) was a Confederate Army general and later a governor of Kentucky. When she gets time, she plans on an article about "Junior".
Many years ago, when I was graduating from basic training in the USMC, one of my drill instructors told me that he had served under Gen. Buckner, Jr. on Okinawa! That was quite a shock to me.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you will PM me with the serial number I will check my Brunner book for you. I own a US Property marked 380 that shipped to Springfield in November 1944 but does not show as issued to a general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts