Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a barely used Ruger ( RUGER GP100 357 Mag - Model # 01705 ) that I could probably sell on my own for about $550. I bought it about 5 years ago and took it to the range once. Works fine. How much would you expect a dealer to pay for it? I plan on going to the same dealer that I bought it from AND I want to buy a new gun from them as well. I sold a more expensive gun once before. It's too much of a hassle to sell this cheaper on my own. I just wanted to get some ideas as to how much to ask/take.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When guns were plentiful before COVID 19 dealers were offering less than 50%. Now that they can’t get any new stock from distributors, probably more like 60%. They are in the business to make money, plus they have overhead. I always found it better to sell myself then buy what I want from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Depends on the particular dealer of course, but most will offer you 50% to 75% of used retail price. In your example ($550 x .5 = $275, $550 x .75 = $413).

·
Registered
317 Posts
what snakeman posted is pretty "spot on" one of my buddies is the gun buyer for one of the Scheel's "gun rooms" so he has more of a focus on the collectible firearms but he leans towards the "75%" range. but like my attorney friend always says when you ask him a question "it depends"

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I sold my GP100 6 inch from 1988 at a LGS a few months ago. It was sold on consignment and I “netted” $650. Is consignment an option for you?

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Cabela's won't pay more than 60%.

If you're dealing with the guy who'd sold it to you and want to use it as a trade, you may well get more.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
My LGS will pay up to his wholesale cost for a gun like you are trying to trade or sell. So figure about 75-80 percent of the retail price. Of course not all dealers are as generous. The important thing is to decide what you have to get for the old gun before going to the shop. If his offer is in your deal making range then proceed. If not, then walk. Having the box and other contents helps a good bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my experience, they usually pay between 50% to 65%. If it's desirable and possibly a quick resale, they usually come in towards the 65% realm.

·
Premium Member
7,858 Posts
gun shop owners know what type of guns sell quicker in their shops too. one never knows, but certain shops will know what sells faster for them. (Revolvers , hunting rifles with hunting season approaching, single action revolver versus pocket nine’s , AR’s - black rifles, etc etc)
also, if a shop has just bought a collection of say.. a bunch of revolvers that he’s been trying to move, he’s not too hungry for another as a trade in. However, it’s likely a good time to sell right now. Everyone knows gun supply is behind demand right now.

condition condition condition
it’s the number 1 factor in a guns value, whether wholesale price or retail.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sell it yourself. it isnt that hard and doesnt take much time. Judging from the complete lack of quality used guns in gun shops, dealer will give you maybe 60% and the gun will be sold in a few days. According to my LGS, a quality used gun lasts less than 2 hour in the case right now, none have lasted more than 2 days.

·
Registered
351 Posts
An outright buy will net you around 50% of the retail worth. A consignment or trade in will net you around 75% to 85% depending on the gun and your relationship with the dealer. The first thing the dealer will do is check the wholesale price of a new gun of the same model and offer you about $50 to $100 less.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Two things to consider: what is the barrel length and do you still have the factory box and paperwork?

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
If you sell a gun to a dealer in my area, a LNIB gun will get about 50 cents on the dollar. Consignment will get you about 75 cents on the dollar.

Certain guns they won't even bother with... guns with unusual cartridges, AR-15s that someone built out of a myriad of differnt parts, or guns that Bubba "fixed" or "restored".

People talk about guns retaining their values, but I don't buy it. Guns are more like cars....when you buy a new car, the resale value drops like a rock once you drive it off the lot. At least guns don't require a 60-month loan. :)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
In most cases, consignment sales are the easiest and safest way to sell a gun.
You get more then a Dealer is willing/able to pay, there's no risk of getting ripped off by a non-paying buyer, and no shipping charges to cut the profit.
Not only that, but the Dealer takes care of hassle of doing a background check on the prospective buyer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A trade-in is usually the simplest route, especially if you know the dealer. If you want to get a good value on a simple sale go to a gun show with a sign (be sure to follow the law) and only take cash. In today's market you can probably get over 80% on a private sell. Just before the Clinton gun ban I was in a long line waiting for the doors to open and witnessed a bunch of sales taking place in the parking lot. The asking price was being paid.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not only that, but the Dealer takes care of hassle of doing a background check on the prospective buyer.
Not only the background check but the whole mess of paperwork that is involved. You won't have to chance selling to someone you really wouldn't want to have it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In most cases, consignment sales are the easiest and safest way to sell a gun.
Not only the background check but the whole mess of paperwork that is involved. You won't have to chance selling to someone you really wouldn't want to have it.
I only sell to folks with my state's concealed carry permit and my state driver's license, cash only.

If the gun were papered to me new, I would keep a record of those two and pics of both, if not neither.

Not much hassle and I don't know any law I'm breaking? I do not live in an anti-gun state.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Figure out what you want to sell it for, and offer between 40-60% of that price; that's how I always did it. I'll pay up to 60% for a gun I think will sell quickly, and 40% of the ones that I think I'll have to hold onto longer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your dealer offers it, consignment will net you far more money and is still easy for you. You just have to wait a bit until after it sells to get your money..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts