Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all from the UK. I'm new on here and wanted to ask the expertise of all you folks as to what you thought of this piece I purchased a good few years ago now. In all appearances, it's a Single Action Army chambered to 44-Henry - and if it was the real deal, would be a gem! However, it doesn't have patent marks, the Colt horse isn't right, there is no serial number on the base of the frame or strap, and the strap is cast into the main body with trigger guard separate. The only number is inside the strap and the casting here appears shoddy compared with my genuine 1900 .41 Colt SAA.

My thought, is that it's a period fake - allbeit a good one - European maybe, or Mexican?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the Colt forum from Pennsylvania USA ! According to the book " The 36 Calibers of Colt Single Action Army " by David M . Brown . Witch in my opinion is an excellent resource book. Colt made SAA in about 8 different types of 44 caliber cartridges . None were in a Henry . I don't know who made your SAA but I'm betting it wasn't Colt . How about some pics of that 41 cal . You mentioned , would love to see it . Does it have a story to it or maybe a letter ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interesting period clone. Never saw a mainspring attached like that before on a Colt. Caliber is wrong. Lanyard ring looks wrong. Trigger guard looks more like the 1877 style not SAA. Flutes & notches on cylinder are wrong. Base pin head shaped wrong. Now I am far from an expert, I learned all of these things by being a member here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks folks for your replies - I like the idea of it being a Spanish copy - especially with the trigger guard and strap being so similar in the link above.

On a slight tangent, I have read that about 2000 SAA were supplied in 44 Henry rimfire in the late 1870s - is that not true or were they conversions?

I'll post a pic of the 41 cal later. I also have a 7.5" 45 cal, but butchered and deactivated for UK law.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Appx 1875 SAAs were chambered for .44 rimfire. Serial numbered in their own range 1-1875. (I once owned #931 and still have #1509). That's the short answer. When Colt realized this caliber ( which shared ammo with Henry and 1866 Win rifles) was a dog most were shipped to Mexico. There were some that were converted to .22 cal.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Morning all from the UK. I'm new on here and wanted to ask the expertise of all you folks as to what you thought of this piece I purchased a good few years ago now. In all appearances, it's a Single Action Army chambered to 44-Henry - and if it was the real deal, would be a gem! However, it doesn't have patent marks, the Colt horse isn't right, there is no serial number on the base of the frame or strap, and the strap is cast into the main body with trigger guard separate. The only number is inside the strap and the casting here appears shoddy compared with my genuine 1900 .41 Colt SAA.

My thought, is that it's a period fake - allbeit a good one - European maybe, or Mexican?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Dave View attachment 701089 View attachment 701090 View attachment 701091 View attachment 701092
This is an old Colt copy designed somewhat like the Remington M1875, but with Colt SAA type ejector assembly. I have not seen one in 44 rimfire, but have seen 45 Colts, 44-40's, and a scaled down 38 Colt. I've not seen a rampant Colt on one of these before. How about barrel markings?

Probably of Spanish, Begian, or Mexican manufature before about 1900, as the 44 RF was a dead duck afterward.

Does the hammer have a rimfire pin?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Not a Colt for sure. But I'd take exception to the 44 Henry being a dog :) .44 Henry was pretty much duplicated 50 years later as the 45acp. No one seems to think the 45acp is a dog.
Not being a cartridge guy I won’t debate the merits of the round. Actually I meant it wasn’t a popular seller apparently, because it wasn’t offered for long.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
With that Rampant Colt stamp on the frame, it might be some reproduction made outside the USA. The hammer profile looks more 'Colt-like' than the pictures that GRI (Greg) posted.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As shown in the file GRI shared, the copy-cats did everything they could to get "Colt" somewhere on the gun. From what I have read they or their agents wouldn't be above stamping it with the Colt logo.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about the gun is the caliber markings. If it was .44 RF, maybe, but “.44 Henry” is unlikely and probably was added to make compliant with some European laws.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Henry was only made in .44 RF as was the model 1866 Winchester.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The .44 Henry rimfire came in two basic configurations, the .44 Henry flat and the .44 Henry pointed. Both could be used in rifles or handguns but the flat was a much better choice in a tubular magazine.
The 1866 Winchester did have some guns made to fire a centerfire version of the Henry cartridge and I've seen one Henry rifle that was centerfire but I believe it to have been a later conversion.
Winchester as well as others made ammunition at least into the 1920s.
I have two Remington rolling blocks in .44 Henry and shoot them with RCC brass modified to fire with .22 blanks.
Take care, Duane

1 - 20 of 23 Posts