Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Both my sons have the Lee Cast Classic Turret press bought as a kit . They are good stuff and will last for years and work as a straight turret or can be set as a progressive .

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
After the sale you'll appreciate RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Redding, SAECO, Etc. for their customer service. LEE and Lyman, not so much. I've lost, damaged, or broken things from RCBS, Redding, Dillon, SAECO, and Hornady, (my fault) and they have sent parts free of charge on their insistence even after I told them I had lost or damaged the part and offered to pay for the replacement. Lyman customer service is okay to good, LEE customer service is lacking, but they do make some good stuff and I buy certain things from them, including one of their single stage, ''O'' press's which I've had trouble free for over 30 years.

I generally don't like, ''kits'' as they include things you'll want to replace or things you won't use, but for getting started I would say for the money, the LEE Classic Turret Press Kit should get you up and running very well with the addition of dies and components. Just about any manufacturers dies will work with the LEE press, but LEE dies are very usable at about half the cost of others. I buy LEE ''Factory Crimp'' dies and add them to my other die sets, and for handgun reloading I buy a LEE expander die to add to another set for the ''powder through the die feature'' because I really like the LEE Auto Disc Pro powder measure for small charges in handgun cartridges, (the Auto Disc mounts to the expander die on my Hornady LNLAP press saving a station for a ''Powder Cop'' die).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I enjoy reloading just as much as casting. I have an RCBS for rifle reloading, but I could not imagine life without my Lee Turret Press. I do not shoot professionally. If I did, I might need a faster set up...like a Dillon.

Having said that, I cannot say enough good about the Lee Turret. I have been handloading on two of these for the last 10 years, and they have each done thousands of rounds and still perform as good as the day I bought them.

I do have one word of advise. I would go with the cast iron turret if you have an extra 40 dollars. Mine is miles smoother than my aluminum based model, and if I had it to do over again, I would have bought the iron one. Here is what I suggest

It is a beautiful product. Next....I would invest in a Lee bottom pour pot and some good moulds and start making bullets. That is when it really gets fun!

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Using economy minded equipment is OK. I still have the Lee loader I bought back in the early '70s. Not because I use it, but because it is proof that the economy grade approach to reloading is viable. I also have several Lee hand tools: case trimmer, shell holders, & pilots, 2 old style hand primer tools, all of which get used. The Lyman 310 tong tools are also very useful tools in among my stuff. I also keep several old Lyman TruLine Jr. turrets for the light duty operations. I resize on an RCBS Jr. that I bought after I loaded quite a few rounds on the old Lee loader. Used equipment is just as serviceable as new if it has had normal care & maintenance , and is in good condition. I gave my UniFlo measure to a friend because the antique Lyman #55 is superior. I have one for each turret press. I have gone so far as to assemble dies sets from pieces salvaged out of the 'junk box/yardsale' section that can be found in nearly every LGS.
I guess my point is, you don't need to go all nutty with equipment while you are starting out.
There is tons of reloading gear around.
Go shopping, get the bits & pieces you need to assemble your ammo, get a decent comprehensive reloading manual, study it and then study it all again. The get your powder, primer, brass and bullets, and have at it. You will be pleased with the result,
It is a heads-up deal, so stay on task and double check everything. You are on the right track.
Post when you load up and shoot your first batch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master kit. Is this the RCBS kit y’all would recommend? I don’t see the Lee 90304 Classic Turret Press kit on Amazon. I found it on EBay for a little over $200 but that sold out and the other listing has it over $300. It’s sold out everywhere. Any Amazon links to kits y’all recommend would be greatly appreciated. It’s my Christmas present from my wife and tomorrow is Prime Day, although I’d be surprised to see any of these kits on sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Geez. The RCBS kit just sold out on Amazon that fast. At least for $379. You can still get it for like $600 haha

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Midway USA is probably your best chance, the LEE kit is back ordered, but they at least expect them in.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
It looks like they (all presses) are out of stock currently at Graf and Sons as well.
Vic

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
MidSouth Shooters Supply shows quite a few presses and kits currently in stock.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I wish you good luck finding the components to make your ammo. Even up here the shelves are bare. No pistol primers (large or small) and very limited choices for powder and available bullets.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
This is nuts, by far the worst I've seen! I'm in good shape, but the more I look around, the less I see, unless you want to pay scalper prices on flea-bay! Even during the Komrad Klinton primer scare I was able to find them at normal prices if I looked hard enough. Well, back then very few of us had internet...

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
There is a bleep-ton of used equipment on ebay. You need a press, dies, a powder scale, some type of measuring device(the Lee dipper kit is cheap and very useful), brass, bullet, primer & powder, and a decent reloading book. And some case lube if you don't find a carbide sizer. This should not be a difficult mission. Now, go get some reloading gear.
I'm gonna go look again right now........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There is a bleep-ton of used equipment on ebay. You need a press, dies, a powder scale, some type of measuring device(the Lee dipper kit is cheap and very useful), brass, bullet, primer & powder, and a decent reloading book. And some case lube if you don't find a carbide sizer. This should not be a difficult mission. Now, go get some reloading gear.
I'm gonna go look again right now........
Good info. Thanks. I guess I was looking mainly at kits because I really didn’t know what all I needed. Don’t mind buying used if the stuff works and me being new I felt like I didn’t have the experience to recognize junk/missing parts etc.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
12:36 AM 10-15-20 The Lee turret press kit is sold out already, but they have 2 9mm die sets in stock now, (.45ACP still a no stock). I hope you got one of the press kits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I said it earlier... check your local craigslist/facebook marketplace. I promise you’ll find some deal if you look long enough, and fair prices on an average day!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Lee Classic Turret and it works great and unless you plan on making thousands of rounds a year it will do nicely. Lee also makes a cheaper turret press, don't buy. Also, don't buy a Lee progressive. I use lee dies and they work well as well as does the Lee autodrum powder measure. My opinion. If you plan on reloading lots get a Dillon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a LEE PRO - 1000 progressive and it works great I have a green one (RCBS) also to load rifle shells. There is nothing wrong with LEE presses as some would want you to believe. Have had the pro 1000 for about 30 to 35 years and it works great. Never had a problem with it and have loaded thousands of .357 and .45 ACP with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would the Lee Turret Press Kit be a good place to start for a beginner looking to load 9 and .45 calibers? Or is there something better around that price point ($200-250)?
I say yes, I’ve been a RCBS guy for years but lately been buying Lee dies etc. I love the Lee 4 die set with factory crimp die.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts