Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 41 long colt and can't figure out which model it is.
Army Special or something else?
Has 4 inch barrel, wrong grips and is about 50% blued but metal good shape.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robin; Can't figure out,how you "can't figure out",if it is an Army Special!!

Army Specials are marked on the barrel,"Army Apecial". They were available with a 4" bbl. Serial numbers start at 291,000 in 1908.

Before that,the 1889,1992 etc. Colt Army and navy "left wheelers start the serial number range. They are marked "Colt D.A. 41" on left bbl. side. They had a 4.5" bbl.(unless yours had been "cut" from this,or a 6".

Most noticible,besides the "left wheeling",old style action isa) side plate on "wrong side" b) the trigger guard is indented from the rest of frame.

So,I take it,the gun must aftermarket stocks???

Hope this helps; a serial number will be of better help(on the butt if it is NOT an Army Special)

Bud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess, DUH, would be my correct response! What I get for not looking at gun. I posted after looking in Blue Book and RL Wilson's. Wasn't much info there without gun present.

I was to busy playing with the Police Positive to see why she didn't rotate the cylinder before I dropped off the box of guns the Colt 41 came in.

A local Pawnshop sold me another box of revolvers, 2 S&W 32 HE's, 2 Colts (police P & 41) and a Star 380 for $450.

"Thanks," he said with head hung low.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Cool I have a COLT 41 DA not ARMY.
Your description and a magbnifying glass solved my delimma. Thanks.

Any value to one with a 4 digit serial number with 1895 patent date?

Colts weren't usually in my price range when I was a young Cop. S&W's very also easier to find. The Colts I did have I kept and sold when Money got TIGHT! They always held their value, kinda like a Harley!

This ones in better shape than my 38 DA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts