Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm sure it depends on which part of the bone or whatever, but I have seen giraffe grips with an almost translucent appearance like pearl but with the coloring and feel of ivory; and also some with a very light color like elk but a very fine, smooth grain like polished stag. I have a pair of very thin homemade giraffe bone panels on a S&W Model 64 that I carry as a woods gun sometimes and I like them very much. I will try to get a picture.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have always thought that these may be giraffe shin bone. They are very dense and do not have the end rings of ivory.

I know that they're on one of those "other" guns, but they do look mighty nice as a component of this K-22 package...

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
Outstanding piece!

I have always thought that these may be giraffe shin bone. They are very dense and do not have the end rings of ivory.

I know that they're on one of those "other" guns, but they do look mighty nice as a component of this K-22 package...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
weagle99,

Looks good. How does the bone feel in the hand compared to stag or ivory?
The giraffe feels very dense and smooth, much smoother than Sambar or elk stag. The only ivory I have is checked so no feel comparison but the giraffe has a somewhat "aged" ivory look. Upon close inspection you can see some subtle striations or "character" that I find rather appealing. Here are a couple of closeups:

SAA left grip 1 stamp.jpg SAA right grip 2 stamp.jpg

L to R; ivory, Sambar, giraffe, giraffe and the rest are elk stag.

SAA group 1.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
They look fantastic, I am curious if anyone else has them from nutmeg that also have non checkered ivory on an saw to compare feel?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Artie,

Got more pic of the giraffe grips on the 3rd one from the left? It looks translucent, almost like pearl.

weagle99,

The giraffe feels very dense and smooth, much smoother than Sambar or elk stag. The only ivory I have is checked so no feel comparison but the giraffe has a somewhat "aged" ivory look. Upon close inspection you can see some subtle striations or "character" that I find rather appealing. Here are a couple of closeups:

View attachment 339770 View attachment 339778

L to R; ivory, Sambar, giraffe, giraffe and the rest are elk stag.

View attachment 339786

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
giraffe bone grips

Got more pic of the giraffe grips on the 3rd one from the left? It looks translucent, almost like pearl.
Some areas of the grips do have a slight translucent quality but it is very difficult to capture it on film. I tried several different ways but couldn't reproduce the effect seen in the group photo.

double click on pic to enlarge

SAA group 1.JPG

3rd from left...

saa 7.5 left 02sm.JPG saa 7.5 right 01sm.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts