Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever messed with making grips out of giraffe bone?

#1 son and I went to a knife makers show sponsored in part by Forged in Fire TV show. All but a handful of exhibitors and sellers were former Forged in Fire winners or competitors. It was interesting and I now understand how he feels when he goes to a gun show with me. He was able to talk to those guys in their vocabulary while about all I could do was look and say "that's really nice."

One table had a bunch of stabilized natural material scales for knives, most dyed various colors. I found some giraffe bone that were stabilized but in their natural color. I bought 1 set with the idea of making 1911 grips and another set that are big enough to make single action grips.

Any tips, tricks, hints or suggestions on working with this stuff?

·
Registered
609 Posts
So I do not make grips but I have several giraffe bone grips for my guns. I went to those after the ivory ban because they look so close and I have been very happy with them.

I got mine from mdgrips. Mike is a great guy, does great work, and loves to talk about his trade. I am sure he would be happy to talk with you and share ideas and knowledge. Last time I ordered grips, we spoke for 4 hours and I am pretty sure all the worlds problems were solved. He is that kind of guy and I am sure he would love to talk with you.

Good luck

MD Grips
(615) 613-3552 [email protected]

·
Registered
878 Posts
So I do not make grips but I have several giraffe bone grips for my guns. I went to those after the ivory ban because they look so close and I have been very happy with them.

I got mine from mdgrips. Mike is a great guy, does great work, and loves to talk about his trade. I am sure he would be happy to talk with you and share ideas and knowledge. Last time I ordered grips, we spoke for 4 hours and I am pretty sure all the worlds problems were solved. He is that kind of guy and I am sure he would love to talk with you.

Good luck

MD Grips

This ^^^^^^^^. I have giraffe grips from Mike as well. Could not have said it better myself.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet but, thinking about it. May i ask what the price was on the SAA size?
The 1911 size were $60.00 and the larger blocks were $80.00.
#1 son bought a set for his knife forging endeavors but I probably get to experiment first as he has a couple of other projects in the pipeline. He did remind me that this was the outfit that was selling them:

Good luck

MD Grips
Thanks! I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I too have bought a set of African Giraffe Bone stocks for a 1911 from Mike @ MDgrips...but I've yet to decide which of my 1911's gets to wear them...so, here's a pic of them finished sans firearm.

And I've also bought a pair of African Giraffe Bone stocks from a gentlemen named Henry Lance @Texasgrips

Raw

Uberti Schofield

...Henry is also a master of Bison Horn

Ruger Bisley Vaquero

·
Registered
60 Posts
+100 for MD grips. Dropped my two Colts off to Mike last week one heck of a great guy! I brought the two little ones with me and we talked until they had had enough and were ready to go get McDonald's. Sad thing is I don't know how much bone he has left and can't get anymore.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The more examples I see of giraffe bone grips, the more I like them. I'm thinking I need to find a maker who will make a set for my 3rd. Generation SAA before some politicians decide to ban their importation which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have made several sets of giraffe bone. I work it more or less like a hard wood...band saw, belt sander, files, sandpaper etc. Biggest difference is using a buffing wheel for the final polish.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It also just happens to be the tools/machines I have which makes the decision a little easier.
The lady tossed in a piece of "scrap" for me to practice on. Cutting, sanding, drilling and polishing all seem pretty straight forward.
I've made several sets of hardwood 1911 and 1 and 2-piece SA grips. This stuff is a little more expensive than my usual raw material. I just wanted to make sure before making an expensive pile of sawdust.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my first attempt at working with giraffe bone. They are a little thicker than I like but I didn't want to get too carried away on the first go. I can go back and thin the up a bit if I decide to.
Things I learned:
Giraffe bone is much more dense and harder than the woods I have worked with.
It smells like burning hair when machining.
Us a slower speed drilling.
Wear a mask when belt sanding for shape.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
This is my first attempt at working with giraffe bone.
Those look fantastic Mark! well done

For those with both Giraffe Bone and Ivory, how similar is the feel? I'm going down the road of putting one or the other on a new gun and can't decide on which direction to go. I only have one SAA with Ivory and I really enjoy the feel. I've never held Giraffe Bone and wonder if it has a similar feel, smooth yet grippy.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I would say the "feel" is very much as you describe...looks smooth, warms in the hand, and there is a felt adhesion in the grip to skin ratio.

African Elephant Tusk Ivory

African Giraffe Leg Bone

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

For those with both Giraffe Bone and Ivory, how similar is the feel? I'm going down the road of putting one or the other on a new gun and can't decide on which direction to go. I only have one SAA with Ivory and I really enjoy the feel. I've never held Giraffe Bone and wonder if it has a similar feel, smooth yet grippy.
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I have made several pair out of various woods but this was my first try with bone.

I wish I could help with a comparison to ivory but "real" ivory is above my pay grade right now. I do have some Resin+S grips on a 1911 and on a Cimarron SA. The giraffe bone is definitely harder and much more dense. It actually felt very smooth but non-slip at the 800 grit point but the details of the bone were muted. The variation showed much better after polishing but they still don't have a lot of slippery feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I noticed that ivory has a little more grip to it when it is in my hand. However my personal examples are limited to one pair of each, and the texture difference could be in how the grips were polished/finished.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts