Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I own enough Colts to demonstrate that I do have blue Colt blood, so nobody bury me up to my neck in the desert just yet.. but a good hammer is a good tool. The model 26 is even one of Hickock45’s favorites. He can hit the far away gong with it too of course.

I was checking out the new G19 Gen 5 and this “baby Glock” was in the case at a significant discount.
G26 gen4 (9mm)
10 + 1 capacity and been around a while now.
It was a trade in from a person that I know, who tends to accessorize and add improvements, his girlfriends gun with a low round count.. so sure enough, a very good deal.
Came with 6 extra mags ( about $35 each)- some with mag extension and extra capacity. Think it comes standard with the extra back straps ? (not pictured)
He added extended slide release and had the triggerguard undercut to improve grip.

I have added Trijicon HD night sights and put about 300 rounds on target. No hiccups.
Although a double stack , it fits into my front jeans pocket inside a pocket holster and is compatible with the G19 mags for higher capacity backup mag or home defense

EF7AFE65-2A72-4FF6-9C31-954A08095B19.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ain’t that the truth, Terry.
I have a G23 2nd gen (40 S&W ) purchased around 1994 from up at the first GreenTop location.
It’s truly spent more time in outdoor temps and humidity than inside environment and there has been no change in appearance at all. Not aged an ounce and is as equally ugly as day one - slide as blocky as a stick of butter and as dull black as the iron skillet that the butter goes in.
...all three items are good for camping trips.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Frankly, I get very tired of people bashing plastic frame guns. I'm 65, I collect many old firearms, and I carry some. So, I'm not a kid that missed the classic firearms era.
I am not averse to carrying modern semi auto pistols, even if they are ugly compared to the all steel marvels from the height of the industrial age. I'm not going to eschew a modern self defense hand gun just because "it's ugly".

I've got Glocks since they first came out, HKs, SIGs, even a Kel Tec P11 plastic frame gun. They are all ugly, but they are all low on maintenance, are accurate, durable, light, and reliable. That's what I really want in self defense hand guns.

NOTHING on this planet stays the same forever.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Your new G27 is a great looking pistol. I like it a lot. Bought an early G27 in about 1999. Shot it a lot and still have it. Never a hitch. Lots of energy and 10 rds. After all these years, even when compared to all the new entries, still a great design. I have shot it with a drop in Lone Wolf replacement barrel in 9mm, using loads heavier than 115gr. This morning i was thinking of carrying it, when i walk around this city, in a front coat pocket now that the weather is changing and came within a hair of ordering a pocket holster but did not. Ordered a pocket holster for the smaller,and less powerful, G 42. Maybe wrongly, but i thought the G27 a bit too thick. Has anyone dropped into the 27 a 357 Sig barrel? Would like to hear your experience.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well i have not been a fan of the plastic guns after Dad had a few Kahr plastic ones...and never had the chance to really look over the Glock....they are very well made...i personally have a G27 Gen4 and it is as nice as my German made Sig P220 and it is a keeper...i will always love my older guns...but for everyday...hard to beat the price and quality of the Glock....well done....it looks like a beauty and great job on all the extras too...God Bless,John

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I have a Glock 30. It reminds me of 1969 ad for Volkswagon...it was right after Apollo 11's successful moon landing. The ad was simply a photo of the lunar lander over the Volkswagon logo with a caption "It's ugly but it gets you there."

That would be a fair description of a Glock.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I did mean to offend anyone but plastic guns are not for me
You haven't offended anyone. I've heard many members bash the plastic frame guns over many years here. I am not the consummate collector of Colts, although I have many old ones, even some rare ones (and S&Ws, Walthers, even 2 original AR10 rifles). I love the older firearms for the craftsmanship, the skills that went into building them, and the blend of beauty with quality of the best designs from the "classic era".
I routinely carry 50-65 year old Colt and S&W 38 snubs in shorts in pocket holsters during the summer (along with a speed loader), and look forward to it.

But to me, the modern semi auto pistol has many virtues, and the only negative that I can think of is they are ugly. For me, this is about practicality.
The modern pistol I carry most often is a Glock Mod 30SF 45acp. 10 rounds of 45 in a compact weapon that is light, controllable, reliable, tough, and easy to carry and conceal. In my Sparks Nexus IWB it disappears under a loose t shirt. Use the 9 round magazine and it's even smaller.
I can sweat on it, or get a scratch on it and I don't have to obsess. They are great tools.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Too Soon...!?

OK...Just about everyone here has said in one way or another that polymer guns are "ugly"...

Well...then there is this:

Designed by Italian race car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro ...the man who designed beautiful cars for
Lamborghini, Maserati, Lotus, Bugatti, Ferrari, Saab, Aston Martin, BMW, and even the DeLorean DMC12...

This series of pistols was Beretta's first foray into the modern polymer frame/grip design.

The Type D was chambered in .40 S&W...the Type F in 9mm.

Type F

Type: Pistol
Produced: 2000 - 2005
Caliber: 9mm
Action: recoil operated semi-automatic
Trigger: double-action (DA/SA)
Safety: frame mounted safety/decock lever
Magazine: 10-round
Frame: polymer
Grips: plastic
Sights: fixed 3-dot
Notes: hard chromed bore barrel
Barrel Length: 3.5 in.
Overall Length: 6.6 in.
Height: 4.8 in.
Width: 1.7 in.
Weight: 26.8 oz.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
The short lived South African Vector pistol, and the new Taurus Spectrum pistols are nice looking polymer pistols, too.

That's a good point you made.
But if we think about all the plastic pistols on the market we probably can't list 5 or more that are attractive looking.
They are primarily "form follows function" things. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts