Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a box of Colt parts this week, and it has 2 barrels, both series 70 GM with collet bushings and links installed. One a 38 super (in a neat little Colt marked box), the other a 9mm. With mags for 38 super. Look like they were never installed. Do these have any collector interest these days?

·
Registered
93 Posts
They are series 70. They just started making the series 70 stuff again for the 9mm and 38 super. Don't know if the drop into the new guns. But some one who has an older gun would for sure want them. So yes there is collector value.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've always meant to find out what else needs to be done to switch over a (pre-70) Super to a 9mm? Would it just be the barrel and magazine?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't know as I would call it collector interest; but certainly there would be USER interest, for those who already have or want to build a "combo" super .38 / 9mm.

Me for instance !

I do recall when there were the 38 super and 9mm conversion kits​ available; but I seem to recall they included the slide, barrel bushing, recoil spring and guide and slide stop in each.

Seems the 9mm had adjustable sights on the slides ??

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've always meant to find out what else needs to be done to switch over a (pre-70) Super to a 9mm? Would it just be the barrel and magazine?
Keeping in mind the o p's posts has to do WITH "70 Series", nevertheless you bring up an option of interest.

The simple answer to your "what else beside bbl. and mag" ?, is,... in many/most cases,.. nothing else.... If the .38 super functions correctly now, so should the converted 9mm.
In fact, before you rush off and buy new 9mm mags, try your conversion first with the .38 super mags. They will work with 9mm rounds many times. The reverse is not true, as 38 super rounds are too long to fit the 9mm mags.

All gun related non-factory changes carry, (should carry), warnings, and the use of incorrect caliber mags can lead to trouble, especially if there are other friends who you sometimes let use your guns.

For your proposed conversion, there are some who feel an ejector change is necessary, (along with bbl. and mag). I have not found that to be the case.

What you could look out for is the different bbl. profiles Colt has used over the years in it's 38 super and 9mm bbls.

Mixing those might mean a new bbl. bushing, as there are at least three different profile .38 super barrel profiles.
One that is the same O.D. as .45 acp, ending at .580 prox. at the muzzle, one that, while ending at .580, has a much reduced O. D. in the middle portion, and one that is smaller from the chamber-front to the muzzle, ending at about .530 or .500 (?)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had a pre-80 Combat Commander which left Colt as a 9mm. I envisioned a want for .38 Super in the 4.25 lenght as I did not have one available at the time. I had a Barsto .38 Super barrel fitted. They come with their own bushing. I had the 9mm ejector shortened to eject .38 Super live rounds. I have many magazines. The conversion pistol was reliable in both calibers with the same recoil spring weight.. Going from .38 Super to 9mm is simplified as the ejector is already short.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Any ideas on value? Give me something to go on, and I'll list 'em on "want to sell".
I'd do a quick search on eBay under 1911 gun parts and you can get some idea. I've seen these barrels listed for a nice price and also listed grossly overpriced.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
The value in those two barrels is that they're matched to their collet bushings...don't come that way anymore. Someone with a Series 70 from that time period would likely be the ones to want them...not that they can't be used in current Series 70 pistols.

What someone would likely want to know is whether the .38 Super barrel was made before or after Colt changed the design to headspace on the case mouth rather than on the semi-rim. The original design that headspaced on the semi-rim gave only mediocre accuracy...Colt didn't update the design until after many aftermarket barrel makers made match grade barrels that headspaced on the case mouth. I don't whether that change occurred during the collet bushing time period or during Series 80 production. Since it came in a Colt box it could have been made after the change.

Reactions: herd118

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I Have the model needed for this so if you come up with a price please PM me before you put in the want to sell so I can see it in a timely fashion to be able to have the option to buy if you do decide to do that. Thank you!
I hope a comment like that is OK etiquette wise on the forum, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be I just want to make sure I’m following a correct code and I’m not doing anything out of the line to anyone else

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
if you are using them in a gun that came chambered for 45ACP the Ejector needs to be changed. When you determine a price I would be interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts