Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a local auction with a Colt on the block today. Only listed as a "Colt 45." Looks like a New Service to me, but not well versed in the old double actions. What can you tell me about this gun based on the very limited information you are receiving?

**Yes I know, more pictures would be great. I don't have the luxury of previewing this item, nor does the website give more pictures, only wanting to gather some basic information on model (IF possible) so I can research a bit before auction. I will check on finish/originality when it is front of me.

auction colts.jpg

Sometimes I come out smelling like a rose at auctions, sometimes they go 25-50% higher than I would have guessed.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Due to the photo lighting it's difficult to say for certain; however, if that's original finish, it appears to be a really nice New Service with nice quality mother of pearl grips. It's a 5.5" barreled gun, which is most common. However, condition is everything. Therefore, assuming original condition, it could go for well over $1,000, depending on bidding war, etc.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My first impression is the stocks are plastic MOP, but I'm willing to be convinced it is original and the lighting is what makes it tough to tell. Agree also on the lighting making it hard to say if the finish is original. If that gun is as nice as it looks, the stocks are real MOP, and the finish is original, I'd break my arm going for my wallet at $1000. Not sure how high I'd go at auction, but it would be over $1000, for sure.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Grips look plastic to me. Bad photo, but I'd suspect it's been refinished.
If both, I wouldn't go higher than $500-$700, depending on how bad I wanted it as a shooter.
Good luck.
Denis

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies, and I REALLY appreciate you sticking your neck out there and venturing some numbers. I know people are always hesitant to do that, but it helps a person get a ballpark. Auction is in a couple hours so we'll see what happens. Hopefully I will be able to tell if they are plastic or real MOP! I dont think I have ever seen/handled real MOP.
Dave I've handled a mop quite a bit and its not all its cracked up to be,back and forth,back and forth then rinse:p

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Looks like a nice one to me. Can't say that I love the original mother of plastic though....those things need to go! :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, Im not really feeling the grips either. What would have been original, black hard rubber ones?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Yeah, Im not really feeling the grips either. What would have been original, black hard rubber ones?
You would think so unless it was shipped with something fragile like pearl that got broken some how and that's the reason for the current grip situation.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Those are Jay Scott plastic pearls. The wood backing is a dead giveaway.

No telling why the original stocks aren't on it. The chances of it being shipped with factory pearls are pretty slim. A lot of people just like mother of toilet seat stocks, or Jay Scott (and others) wouldn't have sold so many of them. There was a time when factory stocks were considered disposable.

From what I can see of the pics, it does look like an original finish on the gun and it looks like the ejector rod head is still color case hardened, as it should be. Looks like you got a nice one. Finding factory stocks will be your next challenge, and much harder than this auction. :)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The finish looks original. It's a great looking piece. Sorry about the grips! Hard rubber would be correct for that year. Patrick Grashorn makes really nice elk grips. A smooth pair with no bark would kind of look like ivory and would be really nice with the gun's blue finish.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments guys, also appreciate the comments and opinions.

As a side note, auctions are funny business. I was surprised there wasnt more interest in this one. There was a S&W 10-6 and 27-2 up for sale also. I think these were both from the 50's but not sure. VERY nice and in boxes. I "think" The 357 went for 650 or 700 and the 38 went in the 500s I think. There was also a Colt woodsman with faded/blue/brown finish that went for over 600. There was a lot of interest in the Woodsman. I guess there were more plinkers than collectors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts