Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NIB Gold Cup National Match Elite.40S&W, that I believe is one of 250, made in 1991. I would like to know if it is as rare as I am led to believe. I was told at the NRA convention, by a couple of Colt Collectors, that it is the only Colt to have "Smith and Wesson" imprinted on it, and the number made was so low, that it should be worth "thousands". Some feedback please.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Worth "thousands" because it shoots a 40 caliber Smith&Wesson???,,
come on man,use your head.I hope
you didn't fall for this and pay a hugh amount for it.
I'm not that knowedgable on guns but I know con-artist
tricks,this is a con-artist trick that I think a seller might
want you to believe,but as a buyer,don't fall for it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Factory Colt .40 S&W 1911s of any kind are hard to find; they're out there but it would take a month of Sundays before you bump into one. The Gold Cup version is even more rare; I have one NIB and I know there is at least one other member on this board that has one too. The limited production Elite series is the only instance where a Gold Cup in .40S&W Colt produced appeared, AFAIK. That, I think, is its cachet; I'm not so sure I buy the "only Colt to have 'Smith and Wesson' imprinted on it" line; maybe, I don't know /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So, taking all that into account, you certainly have a valuable gun, well done! Now, whether it's worth "thousands"? Hmmmm, I've seen these listed in the online gun auctions in NIB condition with starting bids/reserves in the $1500 - $2000 range. Whether they are sold for these prices, I don't recall. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you're happy with it for what you paid for it, that's all that counts.

My 2¢

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chevis,
I understand your disregard for the .40, many people feel that way. (I personally love it and shoot a load of 4gr.Bullseye behind a 175grSWC - great target load). However, if one wants a .40S&W in a Gold Cup - there were only 250 factory guns. Custom ones, antoher story, but you will easily pay $2500 to have an accurized conversion.
Terry

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Blokey pretty well nailed it. I have a NIB 40 S&W Elite Gold Cup and the price range Blokey quoted was fairly accurate at the time I purchased mine, but I've since had a couple of serious high end collectors tell me they can bring as much as 3K these days. I've only seen two actually sell in the past couple of years, and both were less than 2K, but the last one was over a year ago. Just because the asking price is 3K doesn't necessarily mean it will sell for that amount, but the folks with deep pockets are going crazy on some of these guns..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts