Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner of this pistol recently passed away and the family doesn't know anything about it, besides him having it for many years. It dates to 1990. Did Colt offer a Wilson Combat upgraded pistol, or did the owner have it upgraded on his own? What you see is what I have and know, and there is no box...just the rug. While I've not seen the pistol, it reportedly has no or very minimal scratches. Any information about this pistol would be greatly appreciated, including approximate value. They'd like to sell it and I have the opportunity to make an offer, but don't know where to start. Thanks again. IMG_1320.jpg IMG_1321.jpg IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1325.jpg

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
More than likely someone (not Colt) sent it to Bill Wilson for a workover and it appears he did a great job. Super nice looking pistol. It'll probably fetch somewhere between $1500-$2000. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The Gold Cup pictured is a Gold Cup Elite model built in 1990. Likely someone besides Colt sent to Wilson to be modified. By the parts I'd guess the work done closer to the year 2000. Wilson Combat will (should have) the original records on the gun and if you are lucky a build sheet. But it is a complete and rather expensive rebuild including welding up the front strap and then checkering it @ 30 lpi among other things done to the gun. I'd guess street value as it sits is $2000 to $2500. It is a nice gun someone spent some money on...likely close to the cost of the gun originally with the Wilson recut and then checkered the front strap and main spring housing, beveled the mag well, new bushing and recrowned the barrel, new trigger, hammer, (trigger job as well) beavertail and thumb safety. Frame should be stainless, but might hard chromes on top of the stainless, slide is carbon steel and blued. It is now a very nice custom 1911.

I'm curious if the gun still retains the Colt NM barrel or had a Wilson barrel installed.

this is how it left the factory

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
sssnake said:
Post it on the want to sell section here, You should be able to get $1200 for it.
Ouch! One might think that you received some frugal offers on your family's Super 38 from our more penurious forum membership. It happens when they smell fresh blood in the water. Anyone that did make an offer likely knows full well what your gun was actually worth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information, folks. I ended up buying the pistol from the family. Not knowing much about guns, they thought it was worth $500-$600 and seemed shocked when I offered more. Wilson Combat wasn't able to find any records of the pistol, but acknowledged that it was their work. The barrel is the original Colt NM barrel. WC likely fitted the slide to the frame and did work on the trigger mechanism. Depending on the year that it was done, the grip work may have been done by hand or by machine. The threshold for having WC etched on the side was >$500. The pistol feels amazing in the hand and doesn't have a scratch on it. It came with about ten magazines of various manufacturers.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Well done! If you have the time it would be fun to see a clear photo of the front strap checkering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts