Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post in this forum. I would like to take advantage of the collective knowledge in here.

I have seen a Colt Gold Cup in 9mm. It is a first edition in stainless steel. I’m told that it is 1 of 500 made.

The gun is in very good shape.

What do I need to know before I buy?

I want to use the gun as a target shooter – good choice? I know that a .45 would probably be a better choice but that is out of the question due to our gun laws here in Denmark.

What is it worth?

In short: I would like to know as much as possible – any info is welcome.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Tag, Dane!

First off, Welcome in our midst!

You have done the right thing by joining a very hospitable and knowledgeable community of Coltshooters and collectors.

First edition, very good shape, 1 in 500, if this is all correct you may end up shooting a collectable (which is no problem because even collectible guns are made to shoot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
but you will almost certainly end up paying for a collectable. And that is not only a waste of a collectible gun, but also a waste of your hard earned money.

Is it possible to import a gun from Germany into Denmark?
There is a large market in Germany and if you find problems finding a Colt in Denmark, I would suggest you go south!

You mentioned that it's not allowed to shoot .45 ACP, do you have a calibre restriction in Denmark, tell us about it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dane!

I'd love to have any Gold Cup in 9mm.

I'm also interested in the state of your shooting sports and regulations. So, as Gunsmoke asked, please tell us more about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have rather tough gun laws around here. I’m only allowed to have a few guns for target shooting. Carry a loaded gun – you are most likely looking at the world from the inside of a Danish prison.

As I can only buy a few, I want the best – within reason.

That is why I was thinking “Gold Cup”.

I was hoping that a 9mm Gold Cup would be an odd ball – not so expensive. But something tells me that I may end up paying a lot of my hard earned $$ if I go that way. Sad - it’s a nice gun.

And yes we have a calibre restriction. Anything up to .38 is OK. If you want to shoot .45 you are shooting black powder out of a SAA.

Thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If I wanted that 9mm Gold Cup for shooting purposes I'd purchase it. I'd never purchase it for "safe queen" duties anyway.

I wish you'd get it, wring it out, and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I have only seen one. And it was around $ 2.000.

If I ever get one I will shoot it – a lot.

But 2 K for at Gold Cup? I know it is a nice gun. But it is a lot of $$. A lot of nice guns out there if you have 2 K to spend.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
That does seem like a lot of money but I have no idea what the market is like there. I suspect the 9mm model is somewhat rarer than the 45 version of the same gun. I just saw a used .45 Gold Cup today at a gun show near my home for $975. The Gold Cup is a very fine pistol and I can't think you would ever lose on it. If you do purchase please tell us about it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dane,

Welcome to ColtForum!!

Since you're limited to the caliber, if you want a Gold Cup then your decision is made for you. IMO, I'm not sure there's much use in giving a guess as to the value of the gun you're considering; you're in a different market than the Americans on this board so different market forces are at play. You're in a jurisdiction where if you want a Gold Cup, you have a very limited choice so you're going to have to pay a premium if you want to get one of the very few GCs that'll come your way.
Yes, $2000 is a lot but you'll certainly have a very scarce gun that you'll definitely enjoy shooting.

I'm aware of two GC models Colt made in 9mm, the stainless steel version that you're referring to and the Elite IX. I too recall hearing that the ss GC 9mm was limited to a run of 500 units, Colt made 750 of the Elite IX.

Here's a pic of my Elite IX:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I think my eyes are watering just thinking about the $2000 price tag. I'd have to balance my need for the 9mm Gold Cup against any of several other handguns I'm likely to be wanting at any particular time.

I got to shoot a fellow's Series 70 Gov't Model 9mm back in the summer and it sure did get me to thinking. I liked it very much and would be willing to invest in one if I could sneak up on it at the right price.

I think it's ratty that you can't own .45. You are constrained by some wrong-headed political non-fix for crime. All Western nations need to quit regulating law abiding people and harshly bunish lawbreakers. I'm thinking a whole generation of politicians has arisen who were raised by Dr. Spock and aren't punishment oriented. Seems to be the way we fight terrorists these days...negotiate...talk...put them in the "time-out chair".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right; I’m in a very small market. But the price of a given gun shouldn’t differ too much from other markets. We may have odd laws but dealers can still import guns.

So, if a Gold Cup is say $ 1000 in the US, it shouldn’t be $ 2000 here. In short: a price for the US would help me decide the right price for here.

Blokey: Nice Elite IX. How much do you want for it? – I can live with the blue slide ha ha ha. Good shooter? Worth the $$?

Other than that I live with our odd gun laws. I don’t feel under gunned. I can blast away with 357 magnum if I want a bigger bang. But in this case it would be nice to be able to go to .45 ACP.

We have nearly zero problems with legal guns. But despite our many restrictions BG´s seems to have a steady supply of AK 47´s – all illegal of course. But that is another story.

Back to the Gold Cup: Thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dane, in good Jerry Springer-english:

DON'T EVEN GO THERE!!!

I can get me at least 3 GC in 9 mm (in fair/technically good used condition but that is what one is looking for as a shooter) and have money left for ammo!!

I myself spotted a used Colt Gold Cup in 9mm just last week
for around 500 Euros in Holland, so this is definately not the way to go!

Is it possible for you to buy a gun abroad and have it imported? Dutch gunlaw does allow this, the paperwork is a bit difficult but not overcommable and it has to go through Customs. Dealers in the Netherlands can order handguns directly from abroad and they take care of most of the paperwork. How does it work in Denmark?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gonsmoke

It is possible to import a gun from another country. As you say, the paperwork is … well time consuming. But it is possible.

Biggest problem is to convince seller to wait for paperwork here in Denmark.

But I guess if I paid for the gun, that problem would disappear. All I need now is someone who can find a good example to buy. And then point me in the right direction.

If the gun in question is in a registered dealership then I just might convince my local dealer to do the import job for me.

So if you know of a good example I would like to hear from you. Mind you I´m not in to junkers. I want a nice one. Not Nib but nice.

Dane

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How much do you want to spent in Euros?
Just so I know what to look for.
Don't forget any import-taxes that you probably have to pay.

I'll check up on legal matters first here in Holland.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again Gunsmoke.

I don’t think there will be any taxes as both Holland and Denmark is a member of the EU. I will have to pay whatever taxes there is in Holland. But I will check up on that.

My limit is around 1000 Euros for a really nice and clean Gold Cup. Is that possible?

How bad was the 500 one? If it is in good condition that might be OK too.

How much do you think I have to pay to get a nice one?

Dane

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I will call Dutch Customs for the legal issue tomorrow.

I will also start calling around at several Dutch gundealers for any Colt Gold Cups in 9 mm.

1000 Euros is in my mind a very good base to start my search. Dutch VAT is approx. 19%. If a Gold Cup is not available, would you settle for other Colt Goverment 9mm guns?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Gunsmoke

A good Gov´t model would be OK too. But not a 1000 Euro one :)

It seems that I have to do some checking out tomorrow too.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That widens the search even more, we'll get there!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dane:

Here is the legal side of things.
Buyer.
1. Buyer must provide a document which states that you may accept the firearm under your local laws.
2. Registration of the firearm on to your permit is necessary before receiving the firearm.
Already talked to 1 gundealer who states that he only needs a valid I.D. and Gunpermit.

Seller.
1. Seller must provide a paper which states that the gun may leave the Netherlands.
2. Seller must provide papers to allow the exportation of the firearm into Denmark.

As for shipping:
Best way to ship from the Netherlands to Denmark is by air.
If you would pick the gun up yourself by car you would also need papers to import and export the gun in and out of Germany. So it's better to just have it flown in. This will happen from Schiphol. Major downside is that you could end-up with a shipping bill of around 200 Euros. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 20 of 42 Posts