Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the experience and knowledge lurking aorund these cyber halls !!
I want a dancing horse 1911 that I can shoot and look at. I love blued guns so the question is : Series 70 or series 80 Gold Cup Match ? I think series 70 but would like the experts to give me some pointers.
Thanks

Colt Brothers : Python /Diamondback/Trooper Mark V / Officers ACP

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Unless you are willing to pay top dollar....finding a S70 could take some time. If you are looking for a shooter anyway...buy a new one and scratch the itch immediately. just my opinion.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if you haven't spent a lot of time around series 70 1911s, you won't notice the trigger on a series 80. the 80s are easier to find and will shoot better than a human can anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Olde English has a new one with black stocks,Ellasion sights. Guess I will go for it ! Thanks gentlemen

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
"Dancing horse?" The "Rampant Colt" does not like to be called anything else. (At least "dancing horse" is not as bad as "prancing pony!")

"1911?" The last Model of 1911 was made in about 1923, other than the recent World War I Model of 1911 commemoratives. You probably want a Government Model, Gold Cup, Commander, etc., not an actual Model of 1911. (Unless you want one of the recent commemoratives, so you CAN correctly say you have a Model of 1911.)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
In these cyber halls certain things are established protocol. Many folks refer to the "Rampant Colt" as all sorts of things. Some demeaning of the brand, some merely misinformed colloquial interpretations of terms. You may be, at any time, subject to the Judge's correction. Be informed that Colt's themselves refer to the branded symbol as the "Rampant Colt". Colt's also speak of grips as the proper, "Stocks".

This all said in friendly conversation - more to your question, however; if you like the blued version of the Gold Cup National Match, (OIF2's gun is fabulous!) then do consider the Series 80. The Series 70 has taken on some cult-like sales prices.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, "Rampant Colt" does not do it for me. I do use "stocks",alot people call them "slabs". I bought the Gold Cup Trophy ,blue ,flat top with ellaison sights. Little disappointed no "Dancing Horse" on the pistol. Good price,great shooter. Will get some pretty stocks for it.So I now have what I hope is the best Colt 1911 available. The Colt Brothers gained a new brother today. Probably done with Colts for a while,got the snakes and a 45. Time for the S & W 27-2 4". Put 20 through Dirty Harry today my hand is sore !!!

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
At the track, if someone referred to my car as a 'dancing horse' I'd challenge him to a race. Ferrari deems it a "Prancing Horse"

Around here if you refer to the Rampant Colt as a dancing horse you might get a hind end filled with lead! LOL!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL !!
I wish my car,which is a "kitty cat" could go as fast as your horse but then comfort is more important at this point in my life !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts