Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a estimate for value, on a Colt Gold Cup Nat Match MKiv box with all the paper work and barrel wrench, thanks George.
PS Box is in real good condition.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well George, the answer really depends on who you are. Are you the buyer or the seller. And what vintage box you are talking about.

Some guys will tell you the box isn't worth anything but the label is worth everything. Why else would 2 identical boxes in comparable condition having 2 different labels sell for fifty dollars difference.

Others could care less about the label and rather have a box without one. After all they can put any gun they want that will fit into it and be "correct" assuming they vintage of the box matches the year of manufacture of the gun.

Now regarding the paper work. Is a manual for a GC MKIV Series 70 worth more than a manual for a GC MKIV Series 80? A simple phone call to Colt will get you a new Series 80 manual (dated in the late 1990's or early 2000's) to cover the GC. If you ask nicely, you can get it for free! But is that worth as much as a Series 80 manual dated 1987? Well if your gun was produced in 2002 what value does a manual from 1987 have to you? Or vise versa.

George, I'm sorry for the flippant response, but there is no correct answer to your question. If you want to see what some people (some foolish people) are willing to pay for a box, just peruse e-bay. You can draw your own conclusions. Don't check Gunbroker for values as there are several know sharks that buy boxes, cases and manuals on e-bay under one ID and try to sell at tremendously inflated prices on GB and Auction Arms using a different ID. They will separate manuals, cases, warranty cards, hang tags and the like to sell separately. They hope to catch the big fool and sometimes they do. They think they are fooling people with this ID switch and the inflated prices. Well they are fooling the foolish people!

Ok so all that ramble and WS hasn't even drawn a line in the sand. Just another BS'er like the rest.

Fine, if you insist on a number so be it:
$20 to $25 for the Woodgrain with white styrofoam insert (mid 70's to mid 80's version)
more for 2 piece Woodgrain (predecessor to the box above)
less for Maroon (150 anniversary produced in the late 80's) box

The above is based on prices I've seen. Of course if you can find the right guy, the sky is the limit!

Oh yea, forgot to comment on the barrel wrench. not included in above. Some one else help out with this one please!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the label says,
45ACP 5 in Blue
Gold Cup Nat Match MKIV
Mod 05870 Ser# 20817N70
I sold the Gold Cup to a guy last year, at the time i didnt have the Box, the guy i bought it from earlier, brought the box to me, i am in the process of trying to find the paper work for the guy who bought the Colt, i must have misplaceed it, he lives back East, thanks for the reply, George.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi WS23, after more searching, the Colt was sent to Mid West Traders in Channahon Il. but i dont have the customers name, thanks for your help, George.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
George, I scrounge many of the gun shows in my area(OH, KY, PA, WV, IN, TN), and among the gun show regulars, it's tough to find any kind of a Colt box in good condition, the vintage you describe, for less than 40 bucks. Most want more, especially if all the papers are with it. As stated before, the E-bay prices are becoming ridiculous, but like it or not, E-bay is having a profound influence on box/parts/tools/grip prices, in all arenas. Hardly any of these items are being listed on the AA, GB, or GA sites, compared to years past, and they are slowly disappearing from the gun shows. That said...at some of the smaller shows, and flea markets, I have found them for as little as three dollars, in just the past few months...Not the norm, but even a blind squirrel will eventually find an acorn. Any time I see a cheap one, I grab it, and add it to my stash, even though I don't need it at the time, sometimes I'm forced to find a gun to put in it, but every hobby has its risks.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts