Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Purchased a new GCNM today. Cleaned it and went to pasture. At first, the groups were a little disappointing with factory hardball. I then tried a commerical hardball reload and groups fell in as good as I can shoot. 10 shot group with 8 shots in about 2 inches with 2 low at 43 ft. Take that in with the fact that I'm out of shape both shooting and physically. The trigger definitely need working on, about 5-6 pounds. Function was 100%.

Firing was offhand.

Hope the pictures will download.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought one last year & sent it back to Colt to have the trigger set to the 3.5Lb target pull and put in a gold bead front sight, it was worth the $$ & wait ! you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thethinker, how long was the turnaround at Colt for you. I would like the gold bead front sight. In fact, I was considering a Wilson Combat Classic with the gold bead being the only option. Could not find one on the internet the way I wanted and the long build times along with the price was more of a hassle that I wanted to go thru at my age.

I believe the Gold Cup will be accurate enough for my needs. It's giving me the urge to set up one Dillon 550 and reload again. Prior to a tornado 2 1/2 years ago, I had a very nice reloading set-up. Just need to get some small parts, etc.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would use the gold bead to gauge how much front sight to hold for 100 yard clay pigeons when I'm feeling up to it. I used to shoot at 100 yards quite a bit. Still try to attempt it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Dan Wesson CCO, Blazer 230gr. FMJ-brass, 15 yds. off hand. None of my Colts come close to the accuracy of this DW, Wilson are just more expensive not better. Match barrel and trigger are standard on the DW's, all internals are sourced from the best available parts. Look at the DW's they are considered one of the best production guns by folks that know 1911's better than me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compared the triggers last night of my GCNM, GM, and SA Black Stainless last night and the GCNM is definitely heavier. Hope tomorrow to go to a range and compare the 3 if I'm capable of shooting accurate enough.

At least the new GCNM gives me enough incentive to get up in the attic and see what all I need to set up one of my Dillons and start reloading again. I know I need all new locator pins and pans and check weights, may end up having to buy a new scale. (if you recall, I was wiped out by a tornado 2 1/2 years ago). I'll reset up to only load handgun and maybe 22 hornet and 45-70 for rifle. With winter coming, I'm not in too be of a rush. It'll be a winter project. My reloading set up won't be as nice as what I had. While rebuilding, I wanted a nice room in the attic, but I didn't want to add a third central heating and cooling unit. I'll just set up in my storage building.

·
Registered
140 Posts
thethinker, how long was the turnaround at Colt for you. I would like the gold bead front sight. In fact, I was considering a Wilson Combat Classic with the gold bead being the only option. Could not find one on the internet the way I wanted and the long build times along with the price was more of a hassle that I wanted to go thru at my age.

I believe the Gold Cup will be accurate enough for my needs. It's giving me the urge to set up one Dillon 550 and reload again. Prior to a tornado 2 1/2 years ago, I had a very nice reloading set-up. Just need to get some small parts, etc.
Joe, sorry I took so long to answer your question, I sent my NMGC in to Colt in 4/2012 & it was returned on 11/30/2012. I had the gold bead front sight installed, Trigger pull set to 3.5 lbs, and had colt cut verticle serrations on front strap like the older GCNM's all total was $304.00 .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts