Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, well I bit the bullet and purchased a NIB Colt Gold Cup Trophy 1911. Picking it up early next week. This is my first 1911 - typically a revolver guy when it comes to Colts. My questions to the forum are:
1. What if anything should I do after I unbox it? Specialized cleaning tips?
2. Any good methods for NOT getting an idiot scratch besides "be careful". I did find this site - looks like a good idea - basically a piece of plastic when reassembling - Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool Official Website
3. Polishing it - will use elbow grease and a nice lint free cloth with either Renaissance Wax, or "other"
4. Thoughts on using Frog Lube since I've not used any lubricants on it at all?
5. Finally, what should be my short list of upgrades - I'm thinking: new grips, updated sites (not sure I like the targeting system black on black sights), anything else I should consider?

If you guys could take a crack at even one of those queries I'd appreciate it. Looking forward to my first 1911! I figure I can't go wrong with a Colt - again.
Best -
Kraaaken

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sounds like you bought it with the intent of shooting it. If so then a 1911 requires nothing more than a normal revolver would require. Maybe even less. They will get dirty and require a field stripped cleaning which is pretty simple to do once you learn how. Remember it was designed with the field soldier in mind. On the Colt GC no special tools are required. It has a short guide rod which makes disassembly much easier and the barrel bushing is not a tight hand fit like a LEs Baer therefore requiring a barrel bushing wrench. There are lots of write-ups/videos/tutorials on how to do this.

As for parts....there are so many availability is the last thing you need to worry about. There are as many different sights as there are shoes in a woman's shoe store. Grips, holster, sights replacement parts...just look on the net. You can customize to your liking. The sights will need a sight tool or your local smith can change them out for minimal money and time.

Have fun with what, IMHO, is one of the finest firearms ever devised...The 1911.

As for the idiot scratch it is a matter of method. Yes "be careful" is right. As you reassemble the 1911 once you have the slide/frame/slide stop in position remember to put upward pressure on the slide stop at the same time you are pushing in. The idiot scratch occurs when the slide stop is sitting on top of the plunger and pressure is applied straight down without upward pressure at the same time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, you are right. The sights on the Gold Cup Trophy leave a lot to be desired. With the sights being black on black , they could come up with a better configuration at Colt. I'm also thinking of replacing mine with some sort of 3 dot system or low light sights that are easier to see. But then I wear glasses and my eyes are not as good as they use to be. Also maybe a grip laser would be in order, but They can be expensive.
Congrats on your purchase and I know you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I painted the front sight white, using a paint pen purchased at Michaels Crafts store. It made a huge difference as I shoot indoors against a black target. It saved me the cost of changing out the sights, which was Plan B. You may want to try this first.
I use Froglube on all my hand guns. It works great on my GC Stainless Trophy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are welcome. BTW, you picked a great 1911 as your first. I just purchased mine a couple months ago and it is my first 1911. I was at the range this afternoon. It as so accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have owned two GCT 1911's as well as a few others.
First order of business......shoot the heck out of it, it gets better with every shot fired!

1. I didn't like the black on black sights when I got my first GCT, but have grown to like them after shooting a while. I have white dots sights on other 1911's and don't find any great difference. Once again, shoot it awhile before changing things, there is no hurry, you may find you like differently than your thinking. If you insist on changing them, consider the Williams fiber optics, they are simply fantastic. http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm

2. The idiot scratch will always be an issue, its just a fact of the 1911 platform. Yes there are "devices" out there to help prevent it. I simply lay a business card on the frame while I install the slide stop. Someday, I will mess up too, its just a fact of life, not to worry about.
3. Lubrication, a never ending discussion can be held, and has been held. Everyone has their own beliefs, and ideas of what is best, from oils to grease. I follow a smith I know, he simply says, close fitting surfaces have no room for grease, use oil. Small surfaces use thin oil. So I use the Remington Teflon oil on the small stuff and regular Hoppes gun oil on the slide. This has served me well through over 60 years of shooting, and the 1911 I carried in the Vietnam war. I have no reason to change.

You will find the GCT to be the finest shooting hand gun you have ever owned, the more you shoot it, the better it will make a shooter out of you.

Good luck and congrats

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
1. What if anything should I do after I unbox it? Specialized cleaning tips?
BreakFree CLP it.

2. Any good methods for NOT getting an idiot scratch besides "be careful". I did find this site - looks like a good idea - basically a piece of plastic when reassembling - Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool Official Website
This is good but any piece of plastic shim stock will do.

3. Polishing it - will use elbow grease and a nice lint free cloth with either Renaissance Wax, or "other"
That's good.

4. Thoughts on using Frog Lube since I've not used any lubricants on it at all?
This is good or see answer to question #1.

5. Finally, what should be my short list of upgrades - I'm thinking: new grips, updated sites (not sure I like the targeting system black on black sights), anything else I should consider?
Change the front sight to a gold bead. I like the original grips on mine but switched them out to a set of Hogue black rubbers with the palm swell.

These don't need very much alteration to be perfect for the owner.

Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I almost forgot, a nice holster. El Paso Saddlery Co. is having a 20% off sale until Midnight 2/19, Promo Code: VDay14.

Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a SS CGC and it is an excellent shooter right out of the box. I also use Froglube on all my firearms, knives, steel tools............great stuff. As to sights, the rear sight on the GC is a very nice adjustable sight but I did put on a pair of tiny white dots on either side of the notch. I used Nightsiter dots, but there are other ways. For the front sight I went fiber optic as these always work great for my eyes. I also swapped out the stock sear spring for a Cylinder & Slide light sear spring which dropped my trigger pull to 4.5 lbs with no other work. And a nice set of Colt Cocobolo stocks with gold medallions......but I just swapped these out for a vintage set of Jay Scott white pearls.
It is my favorite pistol to shoot!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun
My GCT is 2012 production. I just treat the GCT like any other pistol. When new, I field strip, inspect, clean and lube the gun before shooting the first time. I don't care for wrap around rubber grips and either trim the front strap portion of the wrap around grips away, or use something like the 30+ year old Series '70 grips as shown in the photo. The factory aluminum triggers in the two GCTs I've owned, and others I've handled, are just a loose drop-in type. I replaced mine with a fitted, medium length, Dlask trigger. I actually like the all black sights and will keep the all black, but eventually get around to replacing the front with a .100" wide one....ymmv

BTW, I'd sure suggest you keep that new GCT Very well lubed, especially for the first several hundred rounds, or ugly things can happen. In fact, if the lube proves to be inadequate for the job, no matter how liberally applied, ugly things can still happen....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would field strip it and lube it. I use a CLP product called "Breakfree" and usually buy the SS version for SS guns. I do not like the wrap around rubber grips. I put some wood ones from the old Ajax Co. on my 2012 GCNM.

And some wood ones I ordered off the Colt website on my 2010 GCT.

Have no trouble with the sights as I am an old bullseye shooter.

Have no idea on holsters as never holster any of my Gold Cups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.