Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder, why is the Gold Cup conspicuous through its absence in these pages? I can't think of a high dollar gun with a lower profile than the GC. How come?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only Gold Cup I've been around is my Delta Gold Cup in 10mm. Love it. But being a 10mm, I find I don't shoot it as much as my Commander .45. Now if I had one of the stainless .45 Gold Cup Commanders they made in the 90's, I'd shoot the heck out of it, as I just prefer the Commander sized guns.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What can one say about the GC/NM? It is certainly one fine pistol. I bought one about 5 years ago from a gunshop I traded with frequently over the years. It was a Series 80 in Bright Stainless and had sat in the display case for perhaps a year or so. It was just a little too "high end" for most of his customers and because we had done so much business he sold it to me at a great price. Immediately there was a problem with the safety as if the trigger was pulled while it was engaged, the hammer fell to half-cock when it was dis-engaged. The store sent it to be corrected and the gun has performed flawlessly ever since. I kind of think of it as a Mercedes Benz. It doesn't need a lot of add-ons to be special or great. It comes pretty much finished out. As a result, it does not make a great conversation piece unless one wants to brag about their shooting prowess with it. The only thing I have done with mine is replace the grips with Hogue Ebony. FWIW I have found the bright stainless to be easier to polish out scratches but have to take ribbing as it looks like some pimp's artillery. Ben

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,Ben! Thanks for the talk. I was HOPING someone would say something good about these! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
What can one say about the GC/NM? It is certainly one fine pistol. I bought one about 5 years ago from a gunshop I traded with frequently over the years. It was a Series 80 in Bright Stainless and had sat in the display case for perhaps a year or so. It was just a little too "high end" for most of his customers and because we had done so much business he sold it to me at a great price. Immediately there was a problem with the safety as if the trigger was pulled while it was engaged, the hammer fell to half-cock when it was dis-engaged. The store sent it to be corrected and the gun has performed flawlessly ever since. I kind of think of it as a Mercedes Benz. It doesn't need a lot of add-ons to be special or great. It comes pretty much finished out. As a result, it does not make a great conversation piece unless one wants to brag about their shooting prowess with it. The only thing I have done with mine is replace the grips with Hogue Ebony. FWIW I have found the bright stainless to be easier to polish out scratches but have to take ribbing as it looks like some pimp's artillery. Ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, ... I've seen one of those ... I think on one of the web sites. I can see how a guy'd get fond of the Commander size. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAA:
The only Gold Cup I've been around is my Delta Gold Cup in 10mm. Love it. But being a 10mm, I find I don't shoot it as much as my Commander .45. Now if I had one of the stainless .45 Gold Cup Commanders they made in the 90's, I'd shoot the heck out of it, as I just prefer the Commander sized guns.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dad blast it! My last post got to me. I found a Gold Cup Commander, and am in the process of dealing on it! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
My dad owns a 70 series GC and it's a beaut - conservatively probably 99 percent! He hasn't shot it in 20+ years and even when new it probably didn't have more than 200 rounds through it total but I remember that it was a tack-hammer. Great pistol!

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
The GC was originally a bullseye target gun. I have two of them, one a 1960's .45, and the other one of the .38 Special (not Super) mid-range (flush-seated full wadcutters only)guns, known as the Mark III. Among bullseye shooters the series 80 guns had a terrible reputation for looseness and inaccuracy. They got very expensive, and then on top of it, they seemed to need lots of smithing to reach an acceptable standard of accuracy. I think that sales fell way off after awhile.

Bill A

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Gold Cup Commander showed up and it is a beauty. A few surface scratches that will polish out, but it has that great Commander feel, plus all the bells and whistles that make the Gold Cup an undeniable winner. I haven't been able to shoot at paper yet, but at 25 yards, one inch rocks are easy pickins. I like this 1911 better than anything I have so far. I made a new friend!

·
Registered
25 Posts
thats the direction im heading.been in the market for a new gun for the past month or so .my last was a raging bull 6 1/2 inch blued .454 casul!my next will be a semi and a new 1911 gold cup would be a dream pistol.i own a delta elete 10mm and gov mod in 38 super.god i love the 1911.also a kimber ultra carry.o what a beautiful triger!
question what do they run new in the box?we talkin 12oo.....1500 more??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just fell into a series 70 Gold Cup NIB
today, when my FFL showed it to me I knew I had to have it immediatley. Question is what is the current market on these? I'm sort of curious to know if I got a good deal or not.

Thanks in advance

Simon

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Circa 1978

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now hold on, fellas! All I did was ask about the Gold Cup and now, it's an epidemic! Everyone's got one but me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Now hold on, fellas! All I did was ask about the Gold Cup and now, it's an epidemic! Everyone's got one but me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only one way to fix that, now isn't there

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dear Mr. Pig,
That, Sir, is the best looking gun I've ever seen. I like it better than John Bernard Books', (John Wayne "The Shootist,") SAA's. Real ivory? Factory? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaxonPig:
Circa 1978

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
52 Posts
What IS the approx. value of a series 70 Gold Cup .45 in blued at, say, 98%? I know all the caveats about location, condition, sight unseen, etc. But, somebody maybe take a stab at it?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gold Cup values vary, but in my neck of the woods I'd say a true 98% gun would go for right around $1000 retail, i.e., person to person. The gun show dealers would probably offer you $750 or less.

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a GC NM at a pawn shop for $500 about two years ago.
Never been fired. The owner picked it up cheap and gave me a deal.
At first I never shot it because I didn't want the value to go down. Then I started thinking, who am I saving it for? Some smuckatelly to shoot when I'm dead? I'm saving it for a guy I don't know? To finish the story,it shoots like a dream.

------------------
"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality." Crazy Horse 1874

·
Registered
26 Posts
I curently only Have Two G.C.'s

A Stainless G.C. N.M. And A Newly Found Stainless Delta 10mm Gold Cup. I LOVE Both Of Mine.

Would Love to Find Out How Many of The Stainless Delta G.C.'s Were Made?

And I Feel Great Investments!

45acp G.C.'s in my area run from about $750-$1000.

Again I feel they are a Good Investment, like most Colts are. I think the Ace And The Gold Cups Should Always Bring A Premium.

Now I'm Looking For A Blue Delta Gold Cup, Told that they were made? But Never Seen One? I'm a look'n Hard!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts