Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am calling on you guys wisdom and expertice again. Gunbroker listing #360604419 shows a saa, 1st gen. with some kind of gold applied over nickle. Do you think this can be removed without harming the nickle and how would this be accomplished? Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
I looked at the GB SAA. That is a gold wash on the gun. On many early 1st Gen guns that was quite popular. I like the looks of the gun the way it is although it appears to have been somewhat buffed before the present nickel plating and the gold wash (IMHO).

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
gazelle: It is obviously the gold wash since the gold is left where where very little abrasion can occur on the gun surface. In cases where copper shows through the nickel, that is generally in the areas of highest abrasion/wear.

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Removal of gold: Google "Gold removal using Boric Acid"
I think jewelers use that process to remove some gold plating. I suspect the gold wash on this gun will rub off very easily simply using a pencil
eraser or some other mild abrasive. Perhaps toothpaste on a rag will even 'do the trick.' Certainly one could Flitz it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.