Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1968 Colt Detective Special today. It's in great shape, smooth trigger and has more holster wear than barrel use. Lands and groves are factory fresh looking. No leading in any chamber.
What's interesting is the gold inlay in the frame serial number, knurlled knob at the end of the ejection rod and lettering on both sides of the barrel. There is a little of the inlay still on the Colt logo on the left side of the frame too.
Can anyone give me some info on that practice?
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Forster Products makes a gold fill kit, which is easy to use at home. Gold Inlay Filling Kit for firearms

They actually use brass powder, I think, not gold.

It is an easy three-step process, and I like the results.

The gold fill is easily removed using acetone and a soft bristled brush.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Some folks liked to "pimp" out their guns back in the 70's, well it seemed I've seen more samples from that time period, for whatever reason. It's not factory but can easily be rectified using the method that Collects suggested above.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,091 Posts
You can also fill lettering with "Lacquer-Stik" from Brownell's, which is paint in a stick form. It's rubbed into the lettering to fill it and the excess is wiped off.

People also use crayons, model paint, and whatever.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I'll add or remove what's there. The gun was a carry piece for a desk officer for a long time. I'm the "official" second owner. He retired and asked a good buddy to sell it for him. Friend of a friend type phone call later and it followed me home (I had to keep it then, right?).

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The inlay kits come in gold & silver...some folks like it...some don't:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, nice stuff. In the process of ordering some Badger grips for the DS. Wife has two of them now. The other is nickel plated. She likes the trigger pull on the blued gun and it really is different. I spoke with Colt CS today and I might send her nickel DS in for a trigger job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts