Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening, recently purchased a set of stocks that I was told came from a mid sixites offical police , only the medalion is gold , any ideas , rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I always had the impression that the only gold medallions on these stocks were for the "service stocks" issued with the short barrel Pythons. Who knows,as this would be late in the I frame Official Police production,close to the 1969 change over to the entirely different J Frames. Are the grips numbered? Maybe they could confirm Python or O.P.? Can always change medallions to silver ones! Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi bud , just finished reading your posting on my gold medalion grips , any advise on how to remove the gold medalions with injuring the grips would be greatly apprecated , many thanks , and a happy and safe holiday season , rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
rj; I KNOW there has to be a BETTER way than how I've done this,but couldn't find anything in Kuhnhausens book. Anyway,DON'T try and pound out or flatten the rivet head on inside of stock;even with medallion supported on the other side,stock will probably split! I take a drill,about same size as the rivet head,and this will fit inside the concave part of the rivet. Slowly "grind" the head,being careful not to hit the wood,and when the rivet gets very thin,you should be able to bend it with needle nose pliers in various places to get it small enough to push(be extra careful here!)it out from the back . To mount the new ones(silver?),I just dont dare pound on it with a large rivet head,I get a nice snug fit,by making the rivet head a little small,then use epoxy under the medallion. Just make sure that the rivet head doesn't extend too far to interfere with mainspring etc.(doubt if it would.) There must be a "jig" that stock makers use to flatten the rivet without splitting the wood,nor denting the medallion! I've done this a couple of times,and it works OK. I bought a nice set of stocks,that a guy had removed the checkering from & nicely refinished & put the medallions back on,but hadn't hammered the rivet on one side flat enough and it fell out while shooting! Lucky that it it my finger & I found it on the ground;epoxy cured any more trouble. Hope someone else posts an easier method! Good Luck! Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts