Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, hope someone can help me. I just picked up a pair of checkered wood factory grips for a New Service, large frame revolver. They have gold medallions in them. I thought the gold medallions weren't introduced until 1955, with the Colt Python. The New Service was discontinued in the 1940s. What gives? Did they maybe use the gold medallions on the shooting master, to indicate a premium gun? Head scratcher!...

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Are you sure they are for the New Service? Could they be the smaller duty stocks that were used on the Snubby Pythons?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,071 Posts
As you stated, the first use of Gold Colt medallions was on the 1955 Python, long after the New Service series was discontinued.
No Gold medallions were ever used on any Colt before 1955, only Silver.

As is clear from the sale, the seller has no idea at all what he has, since he lists the grips as fitting the New Service, and a number of medium framed Colt revolvers.
The New Service was a large frame revolver, the others are all medium framed, and the grips absolutely will not fit both series.
The New Service used grips that are significantly larger.

And there's another problem: Note the brass bushing in the left grip. That indicates the grips are pre-War grips, which as above, no Gold medallions existed for.

My best guess is whatever size these are, they've had the original medallions replaced with Gold medallions.
In short...not original or proper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew he was wrong about them fitting E/I frame guns, but it's pretty clear to me that they're for a New Service large frame. The checkering, etc. looks right for factory New service grips, but they were probably stripped of hardware (escutcheon nut and medallions), and then had the medallions replaced with the gold ones. Thanks for your help. I'll just return them for a refund.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts