Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the exception of the Python, which is a bit out of my price range, does anyone have a good suggestion on 4 inch barrel Colt 357? (Either current production, or from the 1970's on up to now).

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i dont think you can go wrong with any colt 357, the old style trooper is a nice sturdy revolver that sometimes are offered at reasonable prices on the auction sites, personally i dont care for the mk series guns but they are sturdy also. the king cobras have taken a price increase as of late and a nice one will cost close to a shooter grade python.i will add a little advise , while python`s are expensive they will never be cheaper than RIGHT NOW, they will hold or increase in value and are the cadillac of production revolvers.since we only live once..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif good luck with the search, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
icdux1 doth speak the truth. Early Troopers or the .357 model are good choices. They can usually be found on the auction sites and occasionally at gun shows. Both models basically have the same action as the Python and are different from the later models. The general consensus seems to be that these are 'sleeper' Colt DAs that will eventually start receiving more attention.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I'll make it 3 . The older Trooper's and M357's continue to be Colt bargains in my opinion .
No offense intended to the collectors , but I think most of the King Cobra's I see advertised online are over priced .Colt made plenty and in the last 15 yrs . Just my opinion .

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Good choice in a DA 357 Colt revolver - Any id

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have to have adjustable sights the best bargain IMO will be the Lawman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. I never could see the value of adjustable sights on a 2.5 or 4 inch barrel anyway. Probably get arguments on that one. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Lawman is my next choice after D frames. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

I certainly can't disagree with any of the others. But I also like the king cobra. It'a built like a tank, of more recent production (and SOMEWHAT less expensive) and IMHO will take a lifetime of shooting.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

A1A;

I would take your side of the sights argument.

Shot a coworker's Lawman a few months ago and was really impressed. He got it locally for less than $300 and it looked stinking new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Between King Cobra and the Lawman, is the Cobra a bit more solidly built, and a little heavier, or is about the same?

·
Registered
400 Posts

I assume we're talking about the Lawman MkIII right? If so the King Cobra is just a logical conclusion to that weapon. The MKIII evolved into the MKV series which has some improvements. The recoil spring set is different etc. The next progression of that same design was the King Cobra. The KC has none of the hardened sintered metal parts that the MKIII series had. It is built like a tank. I have a Trooper MKIII, an Official Police MKIII, and a King Cobra from this later Colt DA design. Personally I like all three for different reasons but if I could only keep one it would the KC. My reasons would be because the darn thing should last a life time of shooting and it's stainless steel so it's easier to polish out use damage when it occurs.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts