Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That line - "Good condition for it's age!" has always cracked me up.

I have seen it used when sellers are describing Guns made in the 1970s, which were worn out and badly cared for to boot.

Once in a while I will ask "Well, what about ones which are the same age or even older, and are 'New in Box' or in fine and well cared for condition? - where does this leave them?"

What a totally lame line...eeeeesh!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Oyeboten,

I also got a good laugh from your posting; "Good condition for it's age!" Yea, I am 65 and still in good condition for my age, but I don't make the girls heads turn anymore either, LOL! I still can do anything I did when I was 25, but it takes a lot longer now.

The "good condition for it's age" is just another "schmoozer" statement for not being well cared for! I have German pistols that went thru WWII with some German soldier that look better than some of the Colts for sale today!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Ran well when parked"

Is another line I used to encounter in relation to old Cars and Trucks.

Usually meaning, still sort of 'ran' ( if smoking badly, and with a Rod Knock and a leaking Head Gasket, and having to be 'Push Started' after liberal Carb dousing with Ether, ) when it limped it's last few yards to then be left to sit for forty years under that shedding Tree, outside out of the way, where everything deteriorated from there from Rain, Wind, Sun, and wet Ground as it sank down past it's Rims bottoms.

The fact that the Engine was eventually 'frozen' from that leaking Head Gasket, Upholstery rotted out and full of Cat musk and Rat Nests and gnaws, and the Floor and Door bottoms rusted through, Windows all broken from kids throwing rocks at it, and on and on, does not in the least detract from the claim in the ad, of 'Ran well when parked!'.

I solved the vexation of the 'Good shape for it's age!' claim, by pointing out to the claimant, how condition and age have nothing to do with one another, or, are at most, merely unrelatedly co-incidental.

One could just as easily claim a brand new Gun is in 'good shape for it's age!'.

Lol...

Aging or Elderly people or other Animals, sure, the claim of 'good shape for their age' can or does make sense!

A 35 or 40 year year old Morgan or light Draft Horse, still Plowing the Back Forty, is definitely worth mentioning for the admiration it ought to invite, for that splendid old Horse ( assuming the Horse still enjoys 'Working', anyway ).

For Guns, "no" - it is either in 'good shape' or it is not, and it's age is a separate consideration.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I pass on, its OK if I look worn out -- I don't want to be LNIB
Lol...

That's pretty good...

Same here...and, it is way too late for any other options anyway!

If I was an older Colt Revolver, timing, lock-up and Bore are pretty good, a little wiggle but not much. Blueing is about 40 percent or on to mostly Plum, Stocks are worn, and, manages point of Aim, quite decently!

Heck, I would have been happy to start off that way, for that matter!

·
Premium Member
21,360 Posts
Along thoses same lines, what does "Very Clean" mean anyway?

·
Registered
377 Posts
My new favorite deceptive used gun salesman technique/line is: "Like new in box" or "Like new in Colt box" . . . well i never stated the box was the original box :confused: :bang_wall:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
years ago I was looking for a certain type of car. there was one advertised on craiglist as like new condition so I called the guy and asked him about it. I mentioned that from what he said in his ad basically except for the mileage I would expect a like new car, perfect paint, no dings, no flaws, perfect tires. all options, switches, gauges, etc working.
he said it wasn't like that, that some things didn't work and it had finish flaws.
so I told him that it wasn't like new then, like new is like new.
he said it was like new for it's age. :bang_wall:

I decided that it wasn't worth the time involved and the 80 mile round trip to go look at it so I told him good bye.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Kind of like that old saw "honest" wear; which would almost certainly be a great deal better than "dis-honest" wear....Or my favorite, "innocent bystander" killed!! What other kind is there ? Would there ever be a "crooked" bystander, who was also gathered up in the carnage ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Here is another from a local ad. Different words but saying (or not saying) much the same thing: Comment: This Colt Police Positive revolver was made in 1912. It is in good condition with rub marks consistent with its age.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Went out yesterday with my Son & twin G-sons, shooting my DIY revolving shotgun, my re-creation Colt 1917 snub, their .40 Glock and a few others. My range is a table I welded up from scrap iron with a galvanized top, out in the woods where we shoot down into a gully at targets, cans & clays -- not to shoot off into
the woods because of live stock.

I'm in good condition for my age, turning 90 on Monday, still working on my guns, other people's guns, shooting guns, driving my car & visiting my few friends that haven't croaked or lost their marbles. Starting radiation next week for recurrent lymphoma. As I said, good condition for my age.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
They built em tough back in 1924 Bob. Continued success on your treatment.

Good condition for it's age and "honest wear"....let's see 7 plates and 27 screws in '94 then added 2 rods and 8 screws in 2007. I can brag I have more titanium/metal in me than a Spray & Pray pistola, can be meaner than a junk yard dog, though I prefer not to be, and while I still have most of my mental acuity about me I'm most grateful that the Good Lord has decided to keep me around for awhile. Yep, pretty good shape for my age and some dishonest wear to boot but I came by it honest like ;) . I'm a youngster at 64 and truly wish they'd cure certain ailments like "common arthritis" instead of pushing all crapola you see advertised on TV for "joint pain". Reminds me of the FBG whenever I see a commercial :rolleyes:

Here's a 1928 M1903 with "honest wear" and in pretty good shape "for it's age" :

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm always amused by "serial numbers appear to match."

Either they match...or they don't! A six year old child can tell you that.

If some numbers are worn, obliterated, pitted, hard to read, etc., then say so in the description.

Always be cautious of CYA terminology in descriptions

John Gross

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.