Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked away today with a first year production agent NIB, and a 1908 .380 Hammerless with box and ammo. Finally the gun show heavens opened up and shinned on me!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well according to my little pocket book 1961 is first year of the agent. Blue Book says 1955? Which one is correct. This is 112XXX-LW

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
The Agent introductory date is one of the major errors in TBOCF. I believe 1955 is the correct date since I have catalogs of that era that show the Agent. It is also one of the rare instances where the Blue Book has something important right in regard to Colts.

I have Agent 473XX-LW that was one of two Agents shipped June 11, 1956 to Union Supply Company, 1509 Muriel Street, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, so the 1962 date is obviously in error. The Wilson charts also make this 1962 error, but, of course, are based on TBOCF so that can be expected.

Obviously, 112XXX-LW is not a first year Agent, but is still a nice package.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad, at first glance I thought it was a first year production. I've been wrong before and will continue from time to time.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
very nice score!! can i see a photo of the very bottom of the agent stocks?? lacking that is the butt exposed on the bottom?? thanks

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I thought what made the Agent not a Cobra was that it always had the short square butt which would make those the stocks with 3/8" overlap on the bottom? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
a pre 66 agent stocks should LACK the overlap IF my theory is correct.i have 2 pr. of short d-frame stocks WITHOUT the spacers on the bottom. i know they will fit a courier but SUSPECT they might also fit an EARLY agent. just courious.anyone know FOR SURE?? i dont know the exact # of d-frame stock variations but would guess it at maybe 10.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, interesting. Keeping in mind the Judge's comments on the dates, TBOCF notes "In 1966 the grip frame shortened. Thereafter the grips overlap at the butt." So, were they shorter than the Cobra before that (otherwise what was different?) but not as short as the across the board 1966 shortening? Or was the Agent the first to always have what became the standard D frame butt length in 1966? Is that what you're wondering? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i`m thinking there is a pre 66 short butt i.e. courier and agent AND a post 66 {every d-frame same length} short butt. the pre 66 is the same length as the very slightly extended short butt of the post 66 agent!! do i have you confused yet?? i will try to post a photo as i`m getting confused my self.i think it odd that only 3000 couriers were produced and i have aquired 2 pr. of stocks for them. i have one pr. of the short stocks with prewar type medallions{no stud} i can only ASSUME they came off an very early agent. i dont have tbocf, only wilson`s american legend.sorry bowhunter it appears i have stolen your thread. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The Agent introductory date is one of the major errors in TBOCF. I believe 1955 is the correct date since I have catalogs of that era that show the Agent. It is also one of the rare instances where the Blue Book has something important right in regard to Colts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure 'nuff! I never did bother to check out the difference and always assumed the BB was wrong, as it usually is the culprit, but after reading JC's post I began browsing through my old catalogs and manuals and found the Agent as far back as 1956, right alongside the Marshall that faded away about the same year, so TBOCF is definitely incorrect. Thanks JudgeColt. Never too old to learn something new...:)

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
thank you bowhunter, photo shows the diff. quite clearly between pre 66 short frame and post 66 short frame. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts