Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids came over from Spokane this weekend and we went shooting up at a good spot in the woods. There was a plethora of unique weaponry brought along, from bolts to levers to autos to double-cocked .54 's to Swamp Fox pistols and almost everything in between.
The funnest by far was my boy's 4 ½ inch .50 S&W revolver.
The backwash from this thing will straighten curly hair and dislocate retina's, and the recoil puts me in mind of a girl I once knew who could ruin a new set of shocks while parked out back of the Grange Hall.
I have bruises on the back of my knees from shooting this thing.
God it was fun...

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Yipes!

Are your Ears ringing?

I went shooting with my Boss at-the-time in 1978, me standing there to the side a couple feet away, casually talking, slowly getting ready to do some target plinking, and, he pulls out a .44 Magnum long barrel and lets off a 'Hot' re-load with no warning...and I felt sick for a week, my Ears were ringing, it was horrible...if I'd known he was going to let one off like that I would have stood way back and plugged my Ears with my finger tips!

I learned my Lesson that day: never, ever, stand to the side like that...and never take your Eyes off the other guy on the firing line!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the .50, you have to stand off a goodly ways to avoid any kind of adverse effect. That's a hell of a load for a handgun. It's great fun, though...kind of like sex without all the jiggly-wiggly stuff, and no breakfast afterwards...

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My alibi was that I was in another part of the county, the shocks needed replacing anyway and surgery had been scheduled a week prior. Those fillings in the back molars was fixinta fall out anyways. Fun was fleeting when the shockwave took out the pickup truck's rear window. I still smile on occasion when remembering that .50 ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I shot a HOT loaded .41 mag once without protection (not the same as back seat protection on a friday night but you get the drift) I never heard the gun go off....my hand just jumped in the air and my ears were BIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGGGG for a couple of days. I did hit what I was aiming at (again...not the back seat thing) Right under a 2liter bottle of water.....it jumped 4 feet into the air. Good times (but not as good as.......well you get it)

:):)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
This reminded me of the time I was hauling 500 gal. of water behind my pickup slowly on the dirt road to my place & a coyote jumped up to my left side,I had an "old" Great Western .44 mag. w/mid range loads in it on the seat to my right so I snatched it up & & took a shot @ said coyote,only one problem,I didn't get the muzzle out the window,when it went off the concussion inside the cab damned near blew what little left I had of my eardrums completely,I went blind for about 2 or 3 min's & I never did find out if I nailed the coyote or not.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not to stray from the worn out shocks, but I was hunting Mule Deer with some friends years ago. My partner fired his .270 without letting me know. The muzzle was close to my left ear. I still can't hear the crickets at night with that ear. Or my wife sometimes. At least that is what she says....;)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Denghis, that big S&W .50 revolver takes some getting used to. After shooting a few boxes of ammo with it, it will put you in mind of hitting yourself over the head with a balpeen hammer. After a while, it seems normal. But when you stop; it feels SOOO good! :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I fired a full load 44 magum out of a 4 inch barrel last week in an indoor range. The concussion of it in that closed in lane gave me a headache for about 5 hours. But it sure was fun.:cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Denghis, that big S&W .50 revolver takes some getting used to. After shooting a few boxes of ammo with it, it will put you in mind of hitting yourself over the head with a balpeen hammer. After a while, it seems normal. But when you stop; it feels SOOO good! :cool:
Yeah, he's had it for a couple of years, and I love to shoot it. You're right about the ball-peen hammer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts