Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes this Viper will be going to the gun show this weekend. Objective: Trade straight up for above average 6 " Python. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good luck, but don't hold your breath on the trade. For a couple of years I tried to trade a SS 6" Python straight up for a 4" blued model. Never got the first bite.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trade Success!!! Well, semi-success .Had to gice up a C note ,but I got what I always wanted, a Python! Don't know anything about thess grips. She is pristine and will not be a safe queen.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think you did extremely well on your trade.
That is one fine looking Python and I love the looks of those stocks, they seem to be thin and nicely rounded, but what logo is on them?

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DB68, The medallions say Colt Custom wit a crest in the middle. My guess is that they came from the custom shop . This gun was manuf. in 1976 and have a F F stamped under the serial #. Any idea what the FF stands for?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Those are Colt Custom Shop grips.
Colt sold a fair variety of different types of Custom Shop grips over the years, from smooth non-checkered like yours, to duplicates of the standard factory checkered models, except made of fancy woods.

They also used a variety of grip medallions, some with the Custom Shop Logo like yours.

The "FF" under the serial number is just an inspector's stamp.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks dfariswheel, I too had never seen that medalion before as Majic said, but the fact that they are Colt enhances even more the beauty and value of that Python.
I would have gladly did what acre5 did, but sure would have hated to part with that Viper. May not see another one for quite some time.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well nobody has asked, but since this thread is one of the few active posts around here recently, I'm going to offer my unsolicited 2 cents. Perhaps it may stir up others to post, good bad or otherwise.

I would never have done what acre5 did. Sure I understand his motivations and I certainly won't knock them. He clearly did what served his best interest and fulfilled a long standing desire. I could easily argue a case for doing exactly what he did. However IMHO, it makes more sense to have kept the Viper.

Pythons are everywhere. Available anytime of the day or night, every day of the week. Yesterday, today and tomorrow. No big deal. All it takes is money. Barrel length, finish, Custom Shop, old, new etc. readily available at your beckoning call. You needn't tell me how much better a gun the Python is over the Viper or how some states make it difficult to obtain used specimens.

The Viper on the other hand is a bit harder to run across and has more of a cult like following, i.e. the so called Snake Collectors. (And yes I am one of those Snake Collectors too! And contrary to what DB68 said in a different post, some snake collectors do strive to obtain all variations of the snakes.) So in one sense it may be more desirable then the Python. Certainly not nearly as common as a Python.

Because of this, I think I would have kept the Viper and saved up little by little & waited for a smoking good deal to come along on a Python.

BTW acre5 that is a real nice looking Python you got! I hope you don't misinterpret the nature of my post. I'm not knocking what you did, but offering a different perspective with the intent of getting a little more activity here. It gets a little boreing just dating peoples Pythons and Diamondbacks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck with the Python. It is a very nice example and the grips really set the weapon off.

Getting rid of the Viper must have been done under great condiseration and thoughtful reflection, as your chances of finding another is almost impossible.

If the Python is what you "really" want then keep it and shoot it and never let it go.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
WS23, you bring up some very interesting points. As I said from a $ standpoint, I probably would have made the trade, if that was my one hearts desire to own a nice Python, but as I also said I sure would have hated to see that Viper leave.
I also didn't realize you were such an ardent snake collector, I would guess that could get awfully expensive to try and collect every variation especially the Cobras, Anacondas and Pythons. Most snake collectors I have run into usually settle for one of each. But hey, what do I know, I have enough trouble just trying to acquire all the Diamondback variations, so I guess in a sense I'm in the same boat as you.
Good luck, happy hunting and let's keep acquiring those snakes, while we still can.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 07-12-2004).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
I want to be a snake collector, so far a 4in blue python, and 4in SS anaconda are in my nest, hopefully the rest will show up at a price I can afford.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:

However IMHO, it makes more sense to have kept the Viper.

Pythons are everywhere. Available anytime of the day or night, every day of the week.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I'm with you on this one. I have a Python and it wasn't all that hard to find. I also have a Colt Cobra 50's vintage, that was real hard to find. Not worth as much but rarer I'm sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To All, I did think long and hard about letting the Viper go. I had it for about Ten years. It was the second of my quest to collect all snakes. The only two guns I didnt have was the Python and Boa. Its true I never even looked for a Python because they were everywhere.I endend up buying any Colt rairity that was reasonably priced. Recently it became clear that the Boa was going to be almost impossible to reasonably obtain, but the one gun that I truly should have was the Python. I now have two small children and the gun fund is now sometimes empty.So trades are now my source of gun income. P.S. I do know where a blue Viper is! The guy is not a Colt guy like us, But he wants my Grandfathers L.C. Smith for it . NEVER!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
He wants an Elsee for a blued Viper huh? Hmmm.....
Now that's something to ponder over, but like you I hate to give mine up that way.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Humm? I have a Hunter Arms (pre 1913) LC Smith Grade 00 available for trade.

But he'd have to cough up more than just a Viper!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts