Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left off last time on this post needing the slide safety catch for this M1908 .380. I found one & have finished it. But I learned a lot about this interesting little gun as to its inner workings which I will do my best to describe to you.
Starting off I won this gun in an auction for $375.00 which I thought was a steal even though it was missing the safety catch. The serial number is 33240 which puts it at 1918 & only 500 were produced that year, likely due to WW 1 military production. It is in very nice condition, retaining most of the high polish, & a minty bore & stock panels. Its has some scuffs & honest ware, which is how I like them. Any way on to the replacing of the slide catch, I though it would be an easy 10 minute job, WRONG. I just could not get it to slide through the frame & hammer, don't know why, seemed pretty simple, just push it through on the broken stud & done. Something was not right so I started to investigate further & noticed the main spring had slipped out from under the hammer when the old pin came out. So take apart the grip safety & start to put that back in the correct position, when the sear & safety pin falls out from lack of tension & I'm thinking now what, I've got a pile of parts laying on my desk. Well might as well do a deep cleaning on it & off yo Youtube for a instructional video that tells you after basic field strip to stop as only a trained professional can put this thing back together, which i'm not, just a ham handed enthusiast. 3 hours later I completed the Colt, now clean & oiled, runs like was when new 99 years ago. I paid $36 for the slide catch, so for a total of $411.00 & a little sweat equity,
I think I did ok. Now on to the photos, (It looks a lot nice in person)1 before & completed & w/ an Audley holster I got from Turneriver. Enjoy.
Leigh
m19083.png m1908 2.jpg m1908 1.jpg m1908 audley.jpg

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well that is a bargain and well done....

Reactions: Mrexmt and ei8ht

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Last time I more than field-stripped a Model M, trying to put it back together, I wasted a few hours, drank a few martinis, had my exasperated gunsmith with my bag full of parts say "not again", and cost me a few extra reassembly $$.

Great pistol! Great job!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to admit this thing was a pain in the you-know-what to put back together like I said in my previous post I believe I had three or four hours trying to putting it back together pieces falling out, springs flying, four letter words being said, which my wife overheard came downstairs asking me what my problem was. When all the sudden it all went together and it worked out. Thank the Lord for that because I was about ready to put it in a bag and do the same thing that I have heard a hundred times from other guys who have tried to mess with their m1908s.
It seems so simple but I guess it would be if you had three or four hands to work with.
Leigh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts