ColtTom
Many Thanks for the Update!
Looking Good....

ei8ht

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Have you reached out for a letter?
I have not. The serial number dates to 1912 if memory serves. According to Pate and Meadows, most if not all of these martially marked Model N pistols were purchased from local gun and hardware stores with the equivalent of petty cash type transactions. I purchased the example above at a local Dallas gun show from an individual who had an eclectic collection of guns for sale and knew nothing about the pistol’s origins. I agreed to purchase it at a price that was comparable to a good condition Model N with original finish. If it somehow proves to be legit, I make out like a bandit when I choose to sell it. If it turns out to simply be a refinished Model N with a spurious marking, I still have what I think is a really cool pistol in my collection with minimal amount of money invested.

Basically, I think a letter would say it was shipped to some hardware store or sporting goods operation. If you disagree, however, or would like to chat about it or other Colts, please reach out via PM, as I would welcome the chance to discuss this or other Colt firearms.

Best,
Tom

·
The Consummate Collector
6,762 Posts
I have not. The serial number dates to 1912 if memory serves. According to Pate and Meadows, most if not all of these martially marked Model N pistols were purchased from local gun and hardware stores with the equivalent of petty cash type transactions. I purchased the example above at a local Dallas gun show from an individual who had an eclectic collection of guns for sale and knew nothing about the pistol’s origins. I agreed to purchase it at a price that was comparable to a good condition Model N with original finish. If it somehow proves to be legit, I make out like a bandit when I choose to sell it. If it turns out to simply be a refinished Model N with a spurious marking, I still have what I think is a really cool pistol in my collection with minimal amount of money invested.

Basically, I think a letter would say it was shipped to some hardware store or sporting goods operation. If you disagree, however, or would like to chat about it or other Colts, please reach out via PM, as I would welcome the chance to discuss this or other Colt firearms.

Best,
Tom
Tom

My thoughts were about the N model, if it letters you have a real home run. I would letter it but that's just me. I would not want to look at it all the time wondering if it would letter.

Cam

6281 - 6284 of 6284 Posts