Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
I can't wait that long (120 days). I spend the extra and get the info over the phone and the letter in a week or so. Worth it when the news is good. Not so much when it's bad.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Is there some karma at work here? I also have exactly 34 Colt letters pending! I decided to get letters on even the Colts I bought new, just to document them, and in anticipation of a letter price increase. (I bought a lot of letters at $20-$30 as I recall.) Once I got into the 20% quantity discount range, I decided to get letters on even my "common new" Colts.

· The Consummate Collector
8,596 Posts
Is there some karma at work here? I also have exactly 34 Colt letters pending! I decided to get letters on even the Colts I bought new, just to document them, and in anticipation of a letter price increase. (I bought a lot of letters at $20-$30 as I recall.) Once I got into the 20% quantity discount range, I decided to get letters on even my "common new" Colts.
Now I know what's holding up my letters, they are working on the Judge's. LOL

· Registered
7,703 Posts
I have 2 letters on the way and they seem to be holding true to the time estimates for delivery (Archives called me with some questions about one of the letters a few days ago but told me the other letter is complete).

· Registered
7,703 Posts
The questions centered around a .22 Trooper, which was not a complete surprise to me having read many of the previous posts on the difficulty in lettering that model. The Archives were initially listing it a 6" .357 from later in the 1960's, which I believe is incorrect based on a thorough examination of the subject gun. I traded several emails with the Archives and provided pictures. My hope is they will be able to locate the proper records as the initial phone call from them was not encouraging.

To his credit, Paul from the Archives was receptive to my thoughts on the matter and seemed very interested in locating the correct information.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Should we reveal to Paul that the .22 Trooper is numbered with the Officers Model, or should we keep that a secret known only to the members of this Forum? I speculate that Paul was making the same mistake many make when they look in the Trooper serial number charts for the .22 Trooper. The .22 Trooper was discontinued in 1960, and it is common for someone to be off a decade or so on dating a .22 Trooper because they are looking in the (equally confusing) centerfire Trooper charts. One would think that a person who is working in the Archive Department would know the vagaries of Colt serial numbers.

I have not heard of having any trouble lettering a .22 Trooper. I had no trouble lettering the last .22 Trooper I lettered in 2007. Maybe the "trouble" is related to Paul?​

· Registered
7,703 Posts
Should we reveal to Paul that the .22 Trooper is numbered with the Officers Model, or should we keep that a secret known only to the members of this Forum?​
I provided that information and more to him via email. I also sent him a note about a 'Colt collector' that owned a gun with S/N 71,XXX that dates to 1957 (I read one of your earlier posts while completing my research). I am cautiously optimistic the letter will arrive in good order.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.