Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I thumb the hammer back slowly, the cylinder does not lock up. It will complete lock up when I pull the trigger. When I thumb the hammer more forcefully or when I shoot DA, the cylinder seems to lock up fine.

What gives?

Thanks

------------------
Ask the Chief!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the perils of "old style" Colt D.A! This is common of Colts,and I've even seen gunwriters,who should know better,say that this is "normal".The gun is out of time,but not badly,as it locks,with anything but a very slow pull of the hammer. I am not going to attempt to analyze what is wrong with your N.S.,but basically,the hand,that rotates the cylinder is not quite fully pushing the cylinder notches into the bolt.Colt has a "2 step" hand,unlike S&W,another thing that makes them more difficult to work on. When you rotate it quickly,there is enough momentum and "spring" to lock it up. I've seen dealers/collectors rotate older Colts this way,when looking at one that a seller has,then saying it is badly out of time. The New Service has larger parts than the smaller D or E frames and is very rugged. I would say that the gun is safe to shoot,with standard factory loads,or the new "cowboy loads",and they are a pleasure to shoot. Has the gun ever been stripped down and cleaned?? Could be some "petrified or fossilized lubricant" from years past that is causing the problem. Hopefully,dfariswheel will add his expertise. In summary,I wouldn't worry about this fairly common "problem" with older Colts,but be very careful who you have work on it. Bud

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LW, thanks for the education. I just got the gun last night and have done nothing outside of a light lube and dry fire. That's when I noticed the "problem".

I have no clue as to the history of the gun 'cept the DOB you provided me a month ago. I bought it used (as in not consignment) from a reputable San Diego shop. The side plate screws have been removed before. But I doubt the gun has had an action job. It feels just like my 3rd DS cmplete with the sort of sluggish return. I keep hearing warnings from folks in the know about the inadvisabiity of opening a Colt revolver without references so I probably won't do anymore cleaning than spritzing some Gun Scrubber into the hammer slot. Ditto with warnings about picking a gunsmith well when it comes to Colt wheelies. Will the factory be my best bet if I want to rectify the timing issue?

In the meantime I thank you for allaying my "fears". I'll shoot the gun next weekend. It will not see hot loads. I prepared a hundred 255 LSWC on 7.5 grains of Univ. Clays. This load does mid 600s out of my 4" Mtn Gun. I figure the extra 1.5" of bbl will give me the 800s I want.

Thanks again LW.

Edit: The gun is about as awesome as an N frame!
------------------
Ask the Chief!

[This message has been edited by SnWnMe (edited 01-07-2005).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Dfaris. Good reading. I bokmarked it just in case I acquire more old Colt wheelguns. I probably will because I really like what I have experienced so far!

------------------
Ask the Chief!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Unfortunately Colt no longer works on the New Service revolver, and no longer has parts.

Your best bet is to ask Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters if they work on the NS, and if not, contact Cylinder & Slide who, I'm sure do,

As for the timing, this is the CLASSIC Colt out-of-time condition.
Depending on the condition of the internal parts, it's possible the problem can be repaired by re-fitting the hand.

To check the timing of Colt revolvers, here's a previous post on how it's done:
http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000657.html

AS lonewolf says, as long as it's not so bad the gun can fire in an unlocked condition, it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary you have it repaired.

AS long as the cylinder DOES fully lock BEFORE the gun fires, you're OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts