Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the blueing get darker and even out? It seems uneven in direct sunlight. Do I need to send it back again?

FC

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wish I could tell you for sure because mine is still not quite a uniform blue after the third time back. However it's not going back again because at this point the gun has spent more time at Colt's being re-refinished than it has here at home. I have noticed that the blackness on the gun as it comes back from the factory starts to give away to a more blue like look after a couple of weeks and that at this point my Python is looking much better than it did the first two times I sent it in. I reapply a light coat of CLP one or two times a week and leave it as is. When I got it back the last time I wiped all the exterior surfaces down with Hoppes to cut the greasy oil Colt covers it in. After that I gently wiped all the Hoppes off and started with the CLP and she's looking pretty good now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a follow up to my earlier post, today I wiped my Python down of all the CLP and the bluing is in fact starting to look an almost perfect, uniform Royal blue. No further complaints. Also as seen under a lightbulb the finish is so shiney now it's incredible. I believe the advice to keep a fresh coat of CLP appied every few days is paying off now. I would say that the finish doesn't get darker, it gets a brighter blue as it cures. Good luck with yours.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. CLP is a gun (and other things) C(leaner) L(ubricant) P(reservative) distributed by BREAK-FREE, Inc. It is widely sold by gun shops and sporting goods retailers such as Brownells, Midway and even WalMart. It is extremely effective. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
CLP Breakfree is a brand name.
CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative) is a type or class of gun lubricant made by several companies under different brand names, including Breakfree, but all similar.

In all cases CLP and especially CLP Breakfree is not only safe for use on bluing, it's one of the very best rust preventing lubes available, and does a great job of protecting gun bluing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am thinking of sending my Python back to Colt for refinishing. They did one of my Troopers and did a super job. Am I reading this correctly that their Royal Blue jobs might not be as good?

Thanks,
John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
No, RICKS just had some issues with his.

Other posters who've sent Colt's in for refinishes say the gun comes back looking factory new, with a finish that looks like the old 1950's Python mirror blue.

Colt also is now offering restoration of factory stamps on badly worn guns where the factory roll stamps are degraded.

·
Registered
156 Posts
True, I HAD some issues but they were taken care of completely by Colt. Trust me, your gun is in good hands, the best in fact if you want it to have a factory new level of refinishing. Yes I had to send mine back a couple of times to get the bluing itself uniformly the same shade but after I got it back the last time it is quite stunning. Everyone I've shown it to have really been shocked how gorgeous a blued gun can look. I have nothing but the highest praise for the work done and the service rendered by Colt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks RickS. Colt refinished one of my Troopers did a super job. I can only imagine how much nicer a royal blue refinish will look.

John

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got a Trooper MKIII .22 that's in great shape except the last couple of inches of the barrel laid in a damp cloth (previous owner) and the blueing got messed up.
If I sent it back to Colt would they have to reblue the entire gun (it's near perfect) or just the barrel ?
What's a ballpark figure to get a Trooper reblued ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
They'd re-blue the entire gun to make sure it all matched.
When you get it back, it'll look factory new.

Colt offers several levels of bluing, from their standard model blue as used on the Trooper Mark III, to their top-of-the-line Python mirror-bright blue.

Price depends on what you want.
Contact Colt for pricing and details.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do you think that re-blueing will devalue the gun or will it be the same as if it were new since it's from the factory ?
What about getting it reblued with other than what originally came on it such as getting the Trooper done in a Royal Blue ?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
Whether a re-blue lowers value depends on how bad the gun is worn.

A gun that's got light wear will be worth less after a re-blue, while a badly worn gun would actually be worth more.

Getting it done in a higher grade finish shouldn't have any effect, one way or the other.

A factory re-blue drops it's value less than a non-factory job.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My gun is in terrific shape except for those last two inches of the barrel (and only on one side). The guy I bought it from kept it under his bed and somehow the carpet got wet and messed up the blueing only on the end of the barrel.
Judging from your analysis, maybe I would be better off keeping it as is, as far as value.
This is the only Trooper I have ever owned and the action is super smooth. Are all Troopers like this ? I've often wondered if maybe it had an action job or something.
By the way, I hope this isn't considered a hijacking of this thread. I'm new here and if I'm out of line, somebody please tell me and I'll start another thread. Great info, I thoroughly enjoy this site.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
Around here, the only "get in line" is at the gun dealers to buy a Colt.
THERE you can get elbowed if your not careful.

HERE nobody here gets too concerned about changes of subject in a thread.

Whether to re-blue in your case depends on how BAD the damage to the barrel is.
Considering that the Trooper Mark III is not collectible in much of anything other than mint in the box condition, you won't harm the value by factor re-finishing to new condition.

The Mark III's are usually very smooth guns, and use makes them smoother.
Usually action or "trigger" work consists of installing lighter weight springs which lightens the trigger pull, but really doesn't smooth things up.

If you don't like the barrel damage, a Colt re-finish will restore it to like-new condition, and may even enhance the value, since major finish damage lowers value.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts