Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pretty neat stuff selling and I haven't seen anything go begging yet......looks like there is still plenty of money out there for collectible guns!

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bid $15K on a Ithaca Double and got squashed like a bug. There is still money out there.
I've bid on a few colts and some winchesters and nada....nothing.....zilch.....hahaha....but I did get within $250 of an engraved 1894 Marlin but I make my plans before I get carried away and just don't cross the line I draw.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Oh how I long for the days a few years ago when I could buy guns on Proxibid and sell them for profit on Gunbroker. Nowadays Proxibid is for Collectors only or LONG term investors, everything sells for hundreds or in some cases thousands more than I could ever dream of selling them for on Gunbroker!

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh how I long for the days a few years ago when I could buy guns on Proxibid and sell them for profit on Gunbroker. Nowadays Proxibid is for Collectors only or LONG term investors, everything sells for hundreds or in some cases thousands more than I could ever dream of selling them for on Gunbroker!
I've been out of the mainstream market for quite a while and things have certainly increased in price.....the 18% buyer's premium doesn't help much either.

I've got my eye on one engraved gun and I'm going to throw my money at it but I'm figuring I'm going to be trampled.....:)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Meaning no disrespect, when you buy at retail (the going price, gunbroker, private sales) and sell at inflated values (for profit) you drive the prices ever higher to a point when most can no longer afford to purchase (fewer potential buyers). Short term gain, long term pain. The bubble will burst, or maybe just lose air slowly, but it will subside.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm a gun dealer, I don't buy at retail. I'm saying several years ago I could buy on Proxi for BELOW retail and sell AT retail. But thanks for showing me the light, I will discontinue my profiting ways.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meaning no disrespect, when you buy at retail (the going price, gunbroker, private sales) and sell at inflated values (for profit) you drive the prices ever higher to a point when most can no longer afford to purchase (fewer potential buyers). Short term gain, long term pain. The bubble will burst, or maybe just lose air slowly, but it will subside.
No disrespect taken, but unless the government is involved and forcing people to buy and sell at a certain price the free market will determine what value an item has. There can only be a transaction unless you have both a willing seller and a willing buyer.

Reactions: keystonearms

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Keystone, I pray that you continue to profit. It means the economy is improving. It means you are doing well. It means my son's inheritance/Colt collection is growing. It means your customers are doing well. But at some point people can no longer afford/justify the prices. Handguns/Colt's are a commodity.......They are subject to the same ups and downs as any other commodity. All emotions aside.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Please provide an example of a collectible firearms that USED to be highly collectible but everyone has turned their backs on because of price and are now not selling or are worth less than before the burst, be it slow or not.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
At no point did I say the bubble had burst. What I posited was that at some point the bubble would burst. Commodities are just that. Something bargained for on the open market. Now your job as a dealer is to determine when that commodity is valued high or low. I am not a dealer. My collection is just that, my collection. I shoot it, I caress it. It does not make me money. It has no value until sold. That will be my son's dilema.....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am a dealer. I buy and sell guns for profit. This is entirely proper and also good for the economy. Having said that, High Standard Target Pistols, such as Trophy, Olympics, Victors, 10-x's ect. went way high, way quick about 20 years ago. Then the bubble burst and they fell back. Now they are coming back again, but not to where they were then, yet. Another example is Winchester rifles. Certain models made in the last 15 years. After Winchester closed, those guns skyrocketed. Now they have fallen back a bit.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Custom Knives have fallen the way of the budget; but that still doesn't mean I will change my buying/selling pattern of buy low, sell high. If I can not make any money from a knife sale I need to get out of the business...

Right now it is a buyer's market, those with the money can afford to buy the best, for a premium. What I look for (dealwise) are the buy high, sell low collectors, those who have to have something and 2 weeks later are selling it to finance (usually at a loss) their next whim...

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the auction I was looking at lot#688 a colt 1911 navy sn561. Does anyone know what it sold for? Thanks
It went for $14,500

1 - 20 of 26 Posts