Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when did colt transition from the purple pre war box to the post war brown boxes? any pics of the later would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
The Pre-War boxes were black, but, due to fading and dye variations, some appear to have a purple hue.

Strangely, the transition from Pre-war style boxes to Post-War style boxes occurred in the immediate Post-War period, generally during the 1946-1947 period. By 1948, I believe all Pre-War style boxes were used up, and the dark-brown, pebble-grain, hinged-lid boxes with the buff interior and the dirty gold end labels came into general use, except for models with adjustable sights, which were shipped in the medium-brown, leatherette-grain, hinged-lid boxes with the dark green interior and the same style dirty gold end labels.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
judgeColt, thanks for the information, I wrongly assumed my '47 would have came in the brown box.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Judge, Just curious how do we know the prewar boxes were black? All of mine are various shades of dark purple and never saw a prewar black one I can remember. Not disagreeing, just wondering how we know this?

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Judge, Just curious how do we know the prewar boxes were black? All of mine are various shades of dark purple and never saw a prewar black one I can remember. Not disagreeing, just wondering how we know this?
Take off your rose-colored glasses!

I do not know how "we" know, but I have dozens of Pre-War Colt boxes and all are black, except for the green Shooting Master boxes.

Black is a color made up of many colors mixed together. (When my inkjet printer runs out of black ink, it will still print in black by mixing other colors to make black.) Because black is a mixture of many colors, there will be blues and reds in the mix. Therefore, under the right environment and light, and some wear, a purple hue may be visible.

Really, why would conservative Colt make a PURPLE box? To my eye, the boxes are black. To your eye, apparently they are purple. Never the twain shall meet!

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts