Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find info such as pricing, users and their experiences. I plan to qualify for a CCW using the .380. Have not used it yet as I've been busy with my Luger collection.

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
I don't own one , but we sold many dozens back when they were in production . They were always very reliable and accurate enough for what they were intended . I think you'll like it .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am currently shopping for a Govt380...my wife's gal friend owns one...she brought it over a while back and my wife had a chance to shoot it and loved it..the recoil is gentl..and the gun is quite accurate...we were always on the paper plate sized targets and better at 30 ft.... I made the mistake of going to gunbroker before I knew much about the guns..and I purchased my wife a mustang..as her friend told us that's what is was...well..the mustang is shorter/smaller all around...it allows for only 2 fingers on the grip for my wife..not 3..and the shorter barrel does reduce accuracy...so my mustang will go back in its box and up for sale.. I just posted it on the forum's classifieds..and I'll go find a govt380.... I'll tell you that I have shot the govt 380 model and I would not hesitate to take it to a CCW qualifying...you should have no problem with that gun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a side comment on the gov 380.

Some of us have had engagement issues with the slide and the barrel. Basically the barrel peens up and eventually will jam the slide. Mine does it, when I posted pictures of it a few years back, I got several comments back that this is a common problem.

Because Colt can't fix it (I called twice) and parts are getting very scarce, I have retired mine to only occasional shooting and carry. I used to bang away with it a lot because it is a very fun gun to shoot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I hope they allow me to use my 380 to qualify. I might have to use one of their 38s or 22. I guess thats OK by me. Can't wait to get my CCW. I got my C&R this summer so I can have guns I buy sent to me and remove one link in the process. I feel the more avenues I can use to keep my gun fever going the better. Oh well, I'll just keep adding to my Luger collection of three. It's hard to find a Luger that is good to very good condition without paying thru the nose for it.But I'm hooked on them. Warning: don't buy a Luger. It won't be your last one! For those interested try www.lugerform.com. Well anyhow, this is a Colt web site and I'm in love with my 380 too. Any suggestions on a good selection for self-defense weapon? Most folks seem to favor a 38? I'd like a semi-auto, but any input on revolvers is good too. 32 cal probably to "light" while a 357 is to heavy, in terms of firepower? What about ammunition? I've seen comments about 38 special, 38+P, 38+P+P; I think I got that right.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had a Pocketlite for a decade or more--the same gun with an alloy frame. I had Novak sights installed and a trigger job, because I felt the factory sights/trigger job was lacking. It's very flat, very light to carry in the pocket, and while it's the terror of tin cans, I can think of better weapons for serious defense.

I've never shot it extensivly, so can't comment on the wear problems. One quirk is that during field stripping if one inadvertantly depresses the ejector too far, one has to further strip the gun before reassembly is possible.

For trivia affectionados, the Colt Govt Model .380 magazine works just fine in the FIE .380, a version of the abortive Colt .380 auto of the '70s. Apparently there's some family history.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts