Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gov\'t Model Mark IV/Series 70 Satin Nickel&blued

I have come across two Gov't. Model Mark IV/Series 70 .45 ACPs with satin nickel frame and slide and blued trigger, barrel, bushing, plunger, grip safety, thumb safety, and slide stop. One, with Pachmayr Colt medallion grips, is described as a "...Dual-Tone 70-Series Transition... Very Scarce Limited Production Model...A Very Late 70-Series with the 80-Series 'New' Firing Pin 'Schwartz Safety'!"; the other, in a store and with walnut checkered Colt grips, as "...probably converted with aftermarket parts." I don't know if the one in the store has the Series 80 firing pin safety. Anyone familiar with this?
Thanks.
Marc

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: Gov\'t Model Mark IV/Series 70 Satin Nickel&blued

I've seen a couple of those too. I'd guess they came from Colt that way since there seem to be quite a few of them.
Not very attractive, IMHO.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I'd stay away from them both,series 70 don't mean nothing but trouble in the late productions...one rule of thumb I go by is the serial number.If it has a G in it it's GOOD.If it has a B in it it is BAD.The early models were good guns though,when quailty control was a whole better.

·
Registered
185 Posts

i have something kinda sorta, not really like what you mentioned that you can pick up for the same or less money that I realy like...

Look into a Combat Elite / Mk IV.....it's 2-tone and mine came as an enhanced model. I picked mine up for $650 and it has been an AWESOME gun.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Re: Gov\'t Model Mark IV/Series 70 Satin Nickel&blu

I recently purchased a like new Colt Series 70 45 ACP, S/N 70B07XXX, brought it home and field stripped it, and found it clean and proper inside. Haven't shot it yet. Did a Series 70 search on this forum and found this submission by chevis.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd stay away from them both,series 70 don't mean nothing but trouble in the late productions...one rule of thumb I go by is the serial number.If it has a G in it it's GOOD.If it has a B in it it is BAD.The early models were good guns though,when quailty control was a whole better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If chevis is reading this, it would be helpful if he will substantiate his comment, or if anyone else can comment pro or con I'd appreciate it. Can someone determine if my piece is "early" or "late" production. Should I be worried about my new purchase?

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts