Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had placed an order with Graf and Sons and added a bag of their 38 Auto brass. The brass in marked GRAFS 38 AUTO, and seems to be Starline brass. I know there has been some discussion about loading .38 Auto ammo with brass marked .38 Super and these might solve that issue.

What I did was I used Winchester brass, non-nickeled for my .38 Auto loads, and my Supers are nickel brass.

But my .38 Auto is a Star Super and an Astra 400 but am contemplating a Pocket Hammer and will start loading using the .38 Auto brass.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I too have a pocket hammer 38 ACP. I own no 38 supers yet. Originally I was trying to find 38 acp only marked brass for reloading but it's more of a moot point as I am loading nothing to 38 super levels. 38 acp and the pocket hammer colt were made for each other. While I doubt anyone today would consider the pocket hammer colt a "pocket gun", it's a wonderfully smooth shooter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You also could call Starline and ask if the .38 Auto cases are in any way different from the .38 Super cases.
I never heard of any difference, just don't shoot a .38 Super LOAD in a .38 Auto. It is because of this that SAAMI added "+P" to all .38 super cases, as an additional flag to those shooting .38 Auto. There is no difference between the older ".38 Super" and the newer ".38 Super +P" cases.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You also could call Starline and ask if the .38 Auto cases are in any way different from the .38 Super cases.
I never heard of any difference, just don't shoot a .38 Super LOAD in a .38 Auto. It is because of this that SAAMI added "+P" to all .38 super cases, as an additional flag to those shooting .38 Auto. There is no difference between the older ".38 Super" and the newer ".38 Super +P" cases.
I have doubts about the .38 Auto case actually being different then the .38 Super case, because years ago the only difference was nickel plated Super cases. They had the same headstamp.
Now Starline does make some proprietary .38 Super / 9X23 brass, but I don't use any of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts