Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Brad Kennon, SEE PHOTOS ATTACHED

My grandfather had this gun made for himself in 1938. Colt firearms company Hartford Conn. It is a single action .38 special on a .45 frame. The handles are Pearl grips with two gold coins, one of the coins Is a 1914 Indian gold piece. a long horn steer is on the grip between the two coins. His name is engraved on the bottom of the handle. In cursive S.H. Monroe. The gun is engraved, a class "C" piece of work.

My grandfather and I were very close. The story goes that he lost this gun in a card game. If anyone has seen this gun or has a suggestion on how I can find this gun. I am new to this sight so just email me at [email protected].

Many thanks Brad
Photos attached

Attachments

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum...great to have u with us....well does he have the serial number available?....God Bless,John

Reactions: krag96

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Welcome,

Good luck with your search but you will need more than luck to repatriate your grandfather's Colt. That is an extremely rare and valuable Colt. First, pre-war .38 specials are all but unheard of with only 25 being made. The gun is master level engraved and nickel (or silver) plated with carved pearl stocks. We will need a serial number and you should get Mitch, our administrator, to move this thread to the Single Action sub-forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the feed back, I do have a serial number, I think. I can see it from the photo, it is not very clear S#153548. Don't take that to the bank. But my grandfather's name is engraved in the bottom of the handle.(SH. Monroe) In cursive. I also have a newspaper article that was written about my grandfather and this gun when he had it made. In the article its says "A mass of engraving on the blue steel". But this is the photo my grandmother gave me when she died in the 1980's.

I understand this gun is most likely in a collection. believe me I would just enjoy knowing what happen to the gun. I am 51 years old and just retired from the Raleigh Police Dept. If you or anyone knows a better place to post this let me know.

Many Many Thanks Brad

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
That s/n would be 1893. A 1937-38 SAA would be in the 355,000 range. I've asked Mitch to move your thread to the SAA forum for you.
The engraving on his Colt looks remarkably like Wilbur Glahn's work. Here's a comparison between your photo and a known example of Glahn's work from the late 1930's.

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
That serial number is too low for a factory original 38 special. Maybe your grandfather sent back that early made Colt SAA to Colt and had them convert it to a 38 special and engrave it. A serial number of 353548 might have originally been a 38 special. Welcome to the Colt Forum!!

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
If you are sure on the serial number, get a Colt letter on the gun. That could/might tell you a lot. Sure looks like Glahn engraving to me as well.

Likely this....returned for engraving of a different serial number. I'd spend some effort deciding what the serial number really is.

That serial number is too low for a factory original 38 special. Maybe your grandfather sent back that early made Colt SAA to Colt and had them convert it to a 38 special and engrave it. A serial number of 353548 might have originally been a 38 special. Welcome to the Colt Forum!!

No doubt the gun is in someone's collection. They were never cheap......and most took care of them. But you never know.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Brad - If you are a member of the Colt Collector's Association, look on page 55 of your Winter Issue magazine (I just got mine this week). They have a service called "Looking for these Colts". You can place an ad in the magazine under this heading and maybe something will turn up. It worked for me once!
If you are not a member of the CCA, you can join here
JOIN
Good luck in your search.
- - Buckspen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts