Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purportedly, this is one of the three guns found in the coffin of the legendary Texas gunman John King Fisher. I'll let you people watch the video and pass judgment, but I cannot help believing that a living relative of Fisher hasn't contacted a lawyer about legal ownership rights on this matter as there are/were three guns and are surely worth Big $$.

P.S. I did a search and saw no previous threads on this, but if I missed one forgive me. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Purportedly, this is one of the three guns found in the coffin of the legendary Texas gunman John King Fisher. I'll let you people watch the video and pass judgment, but I cannot help believing that a living relative of Fisher hasn't contacted a lawyer about legal ownership rights on this matter as there are/were three guns and are surely worth Big $$.

P.S. I did a search and saw no previous threads on this, but if I missed one forgive me. :whistle:
I saw this video about 6 months ago, and don't know what to think of it. If a gun is buried with King Fisher, wouldn't it be rusted all to heck? And when the fancy windowed casket came to surface, with this being the famous King Fisher, wouldn't photos have been taken of it both open and closed? Where was the news media?

This was an interesting story, with a gun that could have been King Fisher's -- but how much of it is true?

I am glad that you posted this, as maybe someone on this forum knows more about this event.

Reactions: OD* and JimK

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's an interesting story with various characters documented and able to verify it's history. However I noticed how Mike Harvey and Charles danced around the actual reasons in the removal of the revolver. There are no photos of the event showing the revolvers in the casket or their retrieval. Then after this story it brings to my mind how people steal stuff from the dead, which happens all the time anyway. This is just another reason I tell the wife, don't put any of my guns or Rolex on me when they bury me because the funeral workers will remove them before the dirt is tossed on my casket.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I had not seen that video before. It's an interesting story but I'm taking it with the proverbial grain of salt. It is amazing to me that they have had the gun for almost 40 years and don't have any documentation other than word of mouth...not even a Colt Letter.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If there was ever any credibility to the story those guys removed it forever. I couldn't watch them. Seems like they were trying to act stupid on purpose.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Mike Harvey is the Texan owner of Texas Jack's Cowboy Outfitters and the owner of Cimarron Firearms...with most of his personal firearm collection having documented historical significance attributed to it...and while I doubt he deserves the moniker of grifter, I do know those two good ole boys were tasted up and having a blast.

Exactly what two ole cowboys should be doing with their children's inheritance...whooping it up and spinnin' yarns !!

Rule #1:

Buy The Gun...Not The Story !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Me thinks a Texas sized Cow Pie smells better then this story. A SAA Would be well rusted and the stocks powder unless dipped in warm grease. They say the only thing that comes from Texas is Steers and BS Gun Tales and I dont see no horns on them. BTW I own 20 ac outside Houston and I got Horns to prove it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
As a forensic archaeologist I have recovered a number of firearms buried with bodies in clandestine graves. The guns don’t usually fare well. The one pictured below was a blued Ruger Service Six from a triple homicide. It was buried with the bodies for 21 years. This was a fairly dry burial environment. Also in the grave were two kitchen knives with stainless blades and wooden handles that were both still in good shape. Stainless guns do much better as might be expected.
Iron coffins, as described in the King Fisher Case, can create a pretty stable burial environment unless they leak. Then they hold water like a swimming pool. Depends a lot on available moisture, soil acidity etc. Could the Colt in question come from Fisher’s coffin? I won‘t say it’s impossible because burials can create micro environments that can produce strange results that I wouldn’t have thought possible had I not seen it myself. But I am somewhat skeptical.
J
Gas Soil Composite material Metal Concrete

·
Registered
281 Posts
“But as you know, embalmed bodies in a coffin, are a whole lot different that "being buried with bodies".

Having had quite a bit of experience with both, I would modify that statement to say “can be” a whole lot different. As I said in the Fisher case, it’s not impossible. Too many unknown variables to guess. But it is an interesting story regardless.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not saying either way. Mike likes to spin a good tale. That likely covers it. But as you know, embalmed bodies in a coffin, are a whole lot different that "being buried with bodies".
Yes, but although embalming came into play in the Civil War not everyone had it done.

My big question is....................what happened to the other two guns in the coffin? :unsure:

Of course, I was taken aback that he has never lettered the FSS. :unsure::unsure:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts